Sugestions About Decrating Cake Dummies?

Decorating By SweetSweetCreations Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 8:47pm by indydebi

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 6

I am new here and not sure where to post this question but how are you decorating your cake dummies for a display or contsest? Do you use regular buttercream undr the fondant? Do you use Royal Icing if you are trying to make it look like buttercream? I would like to do a couple that I keep for diplays to use for wedding shows and my shop if I ever get one! Way in the future! Thanks for any help. Oh by the way this site is HEAVEN!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
karizkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karizkakes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 6

bump

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 6

I use either fondant or buttercream and you decorate them just like you would a real cake. You can reuse your cake dummies over and over. Some people use royal icing but I rather not tried it and did not like it. I use it to patch up dints that I may have made on the cake dummies.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 6

If you're doing fondant on a dummy cake, there is no need to put buttercream first. Some people do but it's not necessiary at all. I personally coat the styrofoam dummy with shortening, then lay the fondant on top.

If you're just coating the dummy in buttercream, it works just fine. I've never frosted one in all royal but I do use royal for the borders, design or accent pieces on top of fondant or buttercream.

KimAZ

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 6

Ok so how long will the buttercream be ok if I am using it as a display? Thank you for all the help.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCreationsByJodi

Ok so how long will the buttercream be ok if I am using it as a display? Thank you for all the help.

years. it turns hard and holds up for years.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%