Cake Decorating Equipment From Canadian Suppliers

Decorating By uschi1 Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm by xstitcher

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:59am
post #1 of 12

I have ordered several times from Goldas Kitchen and they are amazing! I am very happy with their customer service. thumbs_up.gif

However, they don't have a lot of the nifty gadgets I'd like to get, such as the cake stencils Global Sugar Art is currently advertising. The only problem with ordering from the U.S. is the delivery fee, and then of course the broker fee. My last order, which came in a small box and weighed very little as it only contained a couple of plastic molds, some lustre dust, and stamens, cost me just under $40 for the broker fee alone.

Does anyone know of any Canadian suppliers that have the latest and greatest in cake decorating supplies?

11 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:08am
post #2 of 12

Have you checked out www.creativecutters.com?

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:26am
post #3 of 12

You might want to try
http://www.mccalls.ca/
They are located in the Toronto area. They not only have a storefront, but a warehouse outlet. If you don't have a business license, you can purchase a one year membership for $25 for the warehouse (not needed for the store). It is well worth the money.

uschi1 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you pastryjen.
Creative Cutters ships from the U.S., though their HQ is in Richmond Hill.

Mme_K - I'll check out McCalls. Might even drive down there one weekend, credit card in hand....

Thanks for the input!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 12

That's too bad - I live close to Creative Cutters.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:36am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by uschi1

I have ordered several times from Goldas Kitchen and they are amazing! I am very happy with their customer service. thumbs_up.gif

However, they don't have a lot of the nifty gadgets I'd like to get, such as the cake stencils is currently advertising. The only problem with ordering from the U.S. is the delivery fee, and then of course the broker fee. My last order, which came in a small box and weighed very little as it only contained a couple of plastic molds, some lustre dust, and stamens, cost me just under $40 for the broker fee alone.

Does anyone know of any Canadian suppliers that have the latest and greatest in cake decorating supplies?

Brokerage fees bite big ones! I had ordered some magic line pans and americolor gels from ultimate baker when I was still in Calgary and paid approx $30 for shipping via UPS. When they showed up at the door they wouldn't release my package to me unless I paid the brokerage fees totaling $70. The reason I chose UPS as the shipping option is because it was a few dollars cheaper than USPS and I figured I would get it sooner. I would have been much better off with USPS at least then I would only have had to pay the duty fees (tax) for my items and I would have been way ahead. Perhaps you could ask for that option for shipping (USPS that is). Just look online to get an idea what the duty fees would be. I think they start charging the duty taxes after a certain amount of value is reached.

uschi1 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:50am
post #7 of 12

I have always requested UPS. I had no idea there would be a difference other than shipping fees - great tip. Thank you so much.

xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:07am
post #8 of 12

Your welcome. I learned my lesson and I'll never use them again unless it's within Canada or within the US. Never across the border. I don't even know how they come up with their brokerage amt. I'm assuming it's a percentage of the value of merchandise or twice or more the shipping rate. There should be a set fee for this as it's supposedly to fill out a form at the border, you wouldn't think it would be any harder to fill out the same form if the value of the merchandise was different icon_lol.gif . Oh well, live and learn, glad I could pass experiences with them.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:22am
post #9 of 12

Yep, learned the hard way about UPS and brokerage fees too. I nearly fainted saying you want HOW MUCH!!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:59am
post #10 of 12

I hear ya!

Once I reimbursed a promotional coupon I got on-line which entitled me to a product that was about $20 U.S. in value and about fainted when I got the brokering notice in the mail from FedEx for $50 CDN!!!

I assumed they would ship it using the same method I normally chose for the items I've bought before from them and it didn't say anywhere that it was going to be shipped via FedEx. Now I know to call and confirm if it's not specified.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 12

oh yes another that has learned the hard way... brokerage fees are a killer! If you go with the 'upgraded' version of Fedex and UPS sometimes the brokerage fees are covered in the shipping cost, but generally USPS is much cheaper in the long run.

The Vanilla Food Company out of Toronto carries some cake decorating stuff and they are building up that side of their business adding new products regularly. They do carry great ingredients that are sometimes hard to find and $7 flat rate shipping is definately worthwhile (free shipping over $100!)

http://www.vanillafoodcompany.ca/default.asp

xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinas27

oh yes another that has learned the hard way... brokerage fees are a killer! If you go with the 'upgraded' version of Fedex and UPS sometimes the brokerage fees are covered in the shipping cost, but generally USPS is much cheaper in the long run.

The Vanilla Food Company out of Toronto carries some cake decorating stuff and they are building up that side of their business adding new products regularly. They do carry great ingredients that are sometimes hard to find and $7 flat rate shipping is definately worthwhile (free shipping over $100!)

http://www.vanillafoodcompany.ca/default.asp

That's great. Almost unheard of shipping costs for Canada. I'll keep it in mind for if/when I get back to Calgary. Thanks for the link.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%