Fondant Rolling For Disable

Decorating By NIVALIEVE Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 3:27am by burgderb

NIVALIEVE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NIVALIEVE Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 8

Hi All!
I am trying to find some information for my mom. She has recently decided to get back into making cakes and she has started playing with the concept of fondant. The problem is: She doesn't have very much upper body strength. Is there something she can use to make the rolling of the fondant easier? I thought of a pasta rolling machine.. any ideas?
Thanks!

7 replies
Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 8

try using a marble rolling pin. They are very heavy and might be able to push the fondant out enough for her. Not sure if you could do like the pizza guys and hold it in your hands and pull and strech it that way. It might break but it's worth a try.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 8

I'm short so I have to stand on a sturdy step stool so I can throw my body into more.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 8

i think problies a pasta machine would be her best bet, but then again, when it comes to covering an entire cake in fondant, im not sure how you manage it. i think the marble rolling pin is a good idea, with it being heavy your mom wont have to use as much pressure on it

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 8

I had a problem with my wrist for awhile and I would take the fondant and put it in the microwave for a few SECONDS. It make it very soft and I could roll it out and then let it sit for a minute after rolling to firm it back up. I think it works wonderfully!

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 8

maybe the comination of the marble rolling pin and heating it would both work together for her and put crisco on it so it doesn't get too dry. Good luck.

NIVALIEVE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NIVALIEVE Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 8

Awesome!! Thanks All!!

burgderb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgderb Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:27am
post #8 of 8

my mom use to use a pasta machine all the time, but just for making ribbons etc. it worked very well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%