How Far In Advance Can I Make A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By 2waystodo Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm by 2waystodo

2waystodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2waystodo Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 8

HI! MY SON IS GETTING MARRIED AT THE END OF THE MONTH...I HAVE TO MAKE A 4 TIER, WEDDING CAKE...WILL BE COVERED IN BUTTERCREAM AND FONDANT. THE BOTTOM LAYER WILL BE FILLED WITH HOMEMADE PECAN FILLING...AND THE SECOND LAYER WILL BE STRAWBERRRY FILLING...(will be using filling from a party store)...THE NEXT TWO LAYERS WILL BE BUTTERCREAM...I NEED TO KNOW HOW LONG IN ADVANCE CAN I MAKE AND COMPLETE THIS CAKE...
THANK YOU, IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP...

7 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 8

I wouldn't do it more than 2 days before. For a Sat wedding, I would do it on Thursday evening at the earliest. But I have never done it.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 8

a fondant covered cake keeps pretty well for several days (my longest being 5). as long as your filling dont need refridgerated it can sit out ok. but id maybe not leave it that long if possible.
it might be a bit late to ask this, and hopefully you already have this figured out, but will you be able to get the cake set up where ever you are having it, and be able to get to the ceremony without problems?
(and you are better not typing in caps - its considered shouting online)
remember and post pictures of the finidhed cake, it certainly sounds tasty.
xx

2waystodo Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 8

Shelly4481 and brincess_b ,
First of all, thank you both for the advice....its well appreciated..and Second, I apolize for using the lg cap... I did know that about the shouting, but I didn't think it would apply here...no offense was meant.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 8

2waystodo...you can bake and wrap well and freeze the layers...just pull them out and let them thaw and do your decorating and fillings a couple days before the wedding. I am baking today and freezing the big layers untill Sat morning...I have to I have two weddings in one day.
Good luck,
Happy Caking

2waystodo Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 8

Hi, thanks....
Will you defrost your layers in the fridge or out on the counter? The time span i have was getting to me i think...
I also have to make a 13x9 iPod cake for my son....
Do you cover your cake while its cold with fondant?
I have made one wedding cake before, but wasn't in this time crutch...I desperately want the cake fresh...

Thank you, for your advise... thumbs_up.gif

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 8

I wrap them first thing out of the oven in foil... I let them cool to room temp then into the freezer they go... I try to take them from the freezer to the counter to thaw, the condensation happens on the outside of the foil not on the cake, so it doesnt get too wet and soggy...JMO someone else may have a better way. But I don't freeze for weeks just a couple of days. When I over book my like this weekend I have to!!
Good Luck

2waystodo Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you..for your help...
I'll let all of you know how it turned out.... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%