How To Cover 16" Round With Fondant

Decorating By jguilbeau Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 1:51pm by luv_to_decorate

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a wedding cake for this Saturday. This will be my first time covering a 16" round with fondant.
1. I would like to know how do you roll such a large amount and keep it even (I tend to have thick areas and thin areas?
2. What technique do you use to move it to the cake?
Please some expert advice would be helpful. Thanks

Edited: Do you just take one huge chunk of fondant (what ever amount the chart says you need) and roll, or can you start with a small amount to roll then add more fondant and continue rolling. I find it difficult to roll a large amount. any tips?

5 replies
GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 6

Im not sure about the even rolling - since Ive not had a prob with that YET! But to transfer I prefer to sprinke cornstarch/p. sugar onto a 16 in cardboard round .. shimmy it under it .. then shimmy it over the cake .. thats what works best for me .. HTH

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 6

It's hard to explain how to get it smooth and even. I just use my hand and rub across the fondant. I can usually tell where there are dips and rises and can use my rolling pin to even it out. I also use a mat with striping on it. If rolling white, you can tell about the thickness by what you can see through it.

If that's not for you, then you could get a long fondant rolling pin with the guides to help make sure your fondant is even.

I use my rolling pin or mat to transfer the fondant to the cake. I usually either take the mat and invert it over the top of the cake or I drape my fondant over the rolling pin to move it.

Hope this helps.

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 6

I have only done this once before, and I have kept it a little thicker, because it can pull and be thin when you don't want it like that...and when I lift it I powder it and then roll it on my rolling pin and then lay it on the cake.
I have also read where people use a thick plastic sheet to roll it out and then lift it all up and lay it upside down on the cake....I hope you understand what I mean icon_confused.gif

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 6

Go to your local walmart or whatever and by a peice of thick clear vynl (sp) on the roll. Make sure that it doesn't have folds in it.

Roll your fondant out on that, and then flip it over and peel it off. I don't even use cornstarch when I roll on that.

As far as keeping it even, just feel it with your hand. If you close your eyes when you are smoothing your hand over it, you will be forced to use the sense of touch, and will be able to feel the thickness.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 6

I use 2 vinyl sheets to roll the fondant between. You can get them in different sizes. It helps to keep the fondant even and it makes it so easy to put on the cake. You just peel the top sheet off and you can then pick up the bottome sheet with the fondant. The fondant sticks to the sheet and you can then position the fondant on the cake. You slowly peel the vinyl sheet away from the cake and toward you. Just don't rush it. I roll the sheet as I peel. It works great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%