Mixing More Than One Cake Mix At A Time

Decorating By jen4230 Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 3:48pm by CakeDiva73

jen4230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen4230 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 22

Hi. I am trying to make a practice weddiing cake and i was wondering if i can mix 2 cake mixes together at a time because the pan i am using need 10 cups of batter and it would be easier 2 mix 2 mixes together. Is this ok to do or should i mix them seperately then pour them together in to the pan? Thank you for any help i can get.

21 replies
ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 22

I mix two together all the time. Just make sure that your mixer bowl can handle that amount of batter. It is a great time saver.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 22

Me too...I mix 2 at a time also to save time!!

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 22

Most all of my pans call for more than 5 cups of batter, so I am always mixing two recipes at one time. Works fabulously as long as your bowl is large enough. Good luck!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 22

I mix multiple mixes together too. Lately I've been toying around with mixing 5 or so together using a shallow Rubbermaid tub. Has anyone ever tried it? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I just haven't bought one yet to try it.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 22

Yes! This is just one of the many reasons I love my new KitchenAid! I can't believe I waited so long to get one!

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 22

I've never had a problem mixing two at a time.. icon_smile.gif and I hand mix I don't use a mixer...

nonnyscakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I mix multiple mixes together too. Lately I've been toying around with mixing 5 or so together using a shallow Rubbermaid tub. Has anyone ever tried it? I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I just haven't bought one yet to try it.

I have never tried it because I have never needed that much batter at one time. Can you use that much batter at once? I would be hesitant to mix up more than you could use in one baking because the leavening starts to develop and the batter begins to thicken. If you disturb the batter once this process begins, it could keep your cake from rising properly. JMHO

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:50pm
post #9 of 22

I mix 2 at once also. I mix for 4 minutes since one mix calls for mixing 2 minutes--is this what everyone else does??

nonnyscakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:51pm
post #10 of 22

I would stick to 2 minutes. If you mix it too long, the gluten begins to develop and will make your cakes tough.

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:59pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarspice

I mix 2 at once also. I mix for 4 minutes since one mix calls for mixing 2 minutes--is this what everyone else does??

I just mix all my cakes on low for 30 sec-1 min and then med. for 2 min, no matter the size.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:01pm
post #12 of 22

Do people really time the mixing process? I've never done that. I guess I just mix it until it LOOKS like it's ready.

mandysue Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:18pm
post #13 of 22

jammjenks, I used to do that too, but I've found that it's better to sift the mixes, and then mix for the alotted time.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:21pm
post #14 of 22

Overmixing can cause your cake to fall, or to be tough, because you might over-develop the gluten in the flour.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Arriva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arriva Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:34pm
post #15 of 22

I learn something new from you folks every day. I have evidently been overmixing. My next cake, I will use what I learned here. Thanks a bunch.

jen4230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen4230 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:41pm
post #16 of 22

Thank you to all of you. This will make it much easier for me. I have the professional 600 stand mixer as well as the smaller 5qt series. I have taught myself everything and learned alot on here. I'm finally signed up to take 4 wilton classes although i have to drive 45 minutes to it. I really want to make cakes and decorate as a profession. Anybody have suggestions how i can become better at it living in a very small town with not much of a need for bakers? Anyways thanks to all of you im going to go ahead and try the cake. icon_lol.gif

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:42pm
post #17 of 22

I always mix 2 at a time and follow the WASC recipe. It works great. Of course, if you don't need that much batter, then you would obviously just mix one batch.

mandysue Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:54pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen4230

Thank you to all of you. This will make it much easier for me. I have the professional 600 stand mixer as well as the smaller 5qt series. I have taught myself everything and learned alot on here. I'm finally signed up to take 4 wilton classes although i have to drive 45 minutes to it. I really want to make cakes and decorate as a profession. Anybody have suggestions how i can become better at it living in a very small town with not much of a need for bakers? Anyways thanks to all of you im going to go ahead and try the cake. icon_lol.gif

Jen, I have to drive just as far to take cake classes. So far, I've done courses I and II. I'm in a small town, but have found that there's still a need for cakes. My advice would be to do what is necessary to be legal, then advertise, hand out business cards, donate some cakes to places where lots of women work...women appreciate th art of the cake and take care of ordering for b-day parties, showers and weddings. Try not to start too low on prices even if you are in a small town. I always remind myself that if baking is going to take time away from my kids, I'd better charge enough to make it worthwhile. I don't need to work my butt off on a cake for just a few dollars! The biggest challenge is getting my hands on the supplies I need. We have a Walmart, but it doesn't carry very many cake supplies, so I have to stock up when I'm in the "city." So far, I've tried to avoid paying shipping for cake supplies. Also, you'll want to look into the business end re: taxes, etc. Most importantly, check in at Cake Central as much as possible. This is such a great resource! Good luck!!!

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:24pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Overmixing can cause your cake to fall, or to be tough, because you might over-develop the gluten in the flour.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Well no wonder!! I've tried the WASC recipe by Rebecca Sutterby & it's been coming out kinda "flat" & now I know why. I hate it when it's my fault!! icon_razz.gif Although I must admit, I just put the ingredients & hit a mixer speed until it looks mixed well. icon_rolleyes.gif I'll have to try it again & this time be more careful. Darn science!!! icon_mad.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:29pm
post #20 of 22

Did either of you know that most of those Wilton class instructions are also available online? Here's the link to that section on their website:

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/browse.cfm?start=1

Theresa icon_smile.gif

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:45pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Did either of you know that most of those Wilton class instructions are also available online? Here's the link to that section on their website:

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/browse.cfm?start=1

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Holy moley!! Thanks for the link, I'll be adding that to my bookmarks so I can reference it! I hadn't checked the Wilton site b/c everyone said their stuff was junk (although I own quite a bit of it due to living in a small area & that being the primary brand to buy) & I didn't think to look there for tips.

Thanks Again Theresa!!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:48pm
post #22 of 22

lol, I remember when I was a beginning baker and thought it would be cute to make green cupcakes for the kiddies. So I made a yellow cake and added food coloring, and mixed.....and mixed... and added more dye....and mixed.

Thought everything was fine until I pulled a green 9 x 13 pancake from the oven!

I always double cake mixes now and either make cupcakes or extra cakes for cakeballs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%