How Does One Decorate With Fondant Cut-Outs

Decorating By waddayaknowjoe Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm by waddayaknowjoe

waddayaknowjoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waddayaknowjoe Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 9

I'm cutting out designs with fondant and as I cut or shape them they dry out as soon as air hit them(like a previous question I asked). I was wanting to make the fondant designs in advance and color them before putting them on the cake but the fondant gets so stiff you can't shape or bend them. I'm afraid I'm going to have the designs tear or crumble trying to put them on the cake.
Do I need to decorate the cake as I cut the fondant and then color them later or is there an easier method.

8 replies
waddayaknowjoe Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:54am
post #2 of 9

...or is gum paste a better option?

waddayaknowjoe Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:55am
post #3 of 9

...or is gum paste a better option?

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:08am
post #4 of 9

Maybe your fondant is too dry? Air in your workspace too dry? Try using a vaporizer to moisten the air. Work in some glycerin into the fondant or some crisco to make it more moist. If you place the fondant cut outs on a similar shape to the cake you are making they should be okay. ie: placing cutouts that will be on the side of a round cake on the side of a round cake pan to mimic the curve you are going to fit the fondant on.

HTH icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:09am
post #5 of 9

I've never heard of fondant drying that fast. I color it before cutting, cut and place on the cake.

TantalizingTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TantalizingTreats Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:12am
post #6 of 9

First of all, what kind of fondant are you using?

Gumpaste will dry out faster than fondant and harder, so i don't recommend using that ... but you can color your fondant with wilton or americolor icing gels before cutting and i would recommend placing them on your already iced cake while the fondant is still pliable, that way you can shape the fondant the way you want to.

I use mmf and it doesn't dry out too fast...

Hope that helps a little

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:14am
post #7 of 9

Not sure why it would dry that fast. You could try working some shortening into your fondant and that should help.

Bec

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for these tips. I know that my fondant dries really fast as well and I had a hard time covering the top of my cake today the way that I wanted it. I will try the crisco next time!

waddayaknowjoe Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm
post #9 of 9

Thanx to everyone for their wonderful advice and I will certainly try all of them. Wish me luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%