Dairy Free Cheesecake? Is It Possible? Bride Must Have!

Baking By cmalin3 Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 2:53am by maryjsgirl

cmalin3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalin3 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #1 of 5

Okay, I didn't think you could have dairy-free cheesecake. icon_confused.gif

Just got an order for cheesecakes for a wedding, and one flavor HAS to be dairy-free for a bridesmaid with allergies.

Haven't found anything that fits yet on this site...any suggestions guys?

Thanks!

4 replies
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:26am
post #2 of 5

Alton Brown has a recipe for a chocolate pie made with silken tofu and soymilk. It's not cheesecake, but I bet the texture is similar and you could use the same crust. Other than that, I'm not much help. Good luck!

salsaman42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salsaman42 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:35am
post #3 of 5

From About.com
Dairy free cheesecake
You wont believe that this easy (and yummy!) tofu vegan cheesecake recipe is cholesterol-free and packed full of healthy soy protein. I like to make a peanut buttery Nutter Butter cookie crust and sprinkle some extra cookie crumbs on top. You could also serve your vegan cheesecake with fresh fruit or a fruit sauce. Another idea is to use a pre-made chocolate crust and drizzle the top with chocolate syrup or fudge. This vegan cheesecake recipe is a tasty way to add more soy to your diet.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients:
1 container Tofutti brand cream cheese alternative
12 oz or one package silken tofu
1/3 cup soy milk
1/3 cup corn starch
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tsp egg replacer
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 pre-made pie crust
Preparation:
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
Mix the egg replacer with the water in a small bowl until smooth and add to blender. Blend together all ingredients, except for oil and crust at medium speed until smooth. Mixture should be thick and creamy. Slowly incorporate oil by pouring in at low speed.

Pour into pie crust and bake 45-50 minutes or until just barely firm. The cheesecake will not change color or rise up, but don't be afraid to take it out of the oven! Allowing it to cool and refrigerating or freezing slightly before serving will firm it up to the proper texture.

Enjoy your tofu cheesecake! Drizzle with chocolate syrup or garnish with fresh fruit as desired.

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:45am
post #4 of 5

that actually sounds really yummy...i know that my grandparents use the tofutti cream cheese, but i have never tried it myself...may have to now!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:53am
post #5 of 5

Here is a link to another recipe with a lot less ingredients. Good luck!

http://www.ooffoo.com/listing/Dairy-free-Cheese-Cake-with-Lemon.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%