Help Needed With Monogram "elegant" Baby Shower Cu

Baking By imartsy Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 10:28pm by confectioneista

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:18am
post #1 of 8

I've been asked by a friend to do monogram baby shower cupcakes for a boy baby shower. The Confetti cakes book has some cute "mini cakes," but I'm thinking I'd have to make more cake to do that.....and it's covered in fondant.

I'm not quite sure what to do. I was worried about just doing buttercream with a chocolate letter b/c it might melt (it is getting warmer)... And I wasn't quite sure if it should lay flat on the cupcake or be standing up in the cupcake...

I also have tappits but have trouble using them. I love the shape of the letter that is the monogram, but I don't want to have ragged edges on it....

Anyone have any good ideas? icon_smile.gif They want the icing or fondant to be white and the letter (or all 3 letters) blue...

7 replies
imartsy Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:05am
post #2 of 8

any ideas? I'll leave this overnight and come check in the morning. Hopefully the other half of the world can help me out while I'm asleep icon_smile.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:46am
post #3 of 8

How about Royal Icing? You can lay them down or stand them up and don't have to worry about them melting.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:59am
post #4 of 8

Have you looked at aine2's video for using letter cutters? I think tappits are one she specifically shows in her video.

I haven't tried that brand specifically, but from what I remember in her video the trick is to get the fondant pretty thin and let it dry a bit before you cut it. Then she kind of smacks the cutter on the counter top and the letter just kind of flies out.

I think that's a really cute cutter (if I'm really thinking of the same one). It would make a wonderful monogram if you could get it to work for you.

imartsy Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 8

Alright so I think I've figured out the tappits.... now...

Do you think it would cost me more or about the same if I made a sheetcake and cut out 3 in or 2 in cakes and covered them with fondant vs. doing cupcakes? Or should I just do cupcakes with a thin layer of fondant on top of buttercream icing and put the monogram letter on it?

OR

Should I just do buttercream icing in a swirl and place the fondant letter on top sticking up?

OR

Should I frost with buttercream, flatten the icing so its smooth on top, and just place the W on top of that?

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 8

I think the question becomes what is easiest and less stressful for you to do? Covering little cakes or cupcakes in fondant can be daunting, especially if you haven't done it before. Certainly topping the cupcakes with BC swirls is very easy to do, not time consuming and still looks cute. Plus, as you mentioned, the monogram will stand up easily in the BC. With the fondant, you'd have to work at it a bit to get the monogram to stand up - kind of tricky.

Are you charging for your services or are you just doing this 'cuz you're a great friend? If you're getting paid for this, make sure whatever you decide to do that you are paid accordingly for doing little cakes. But if you're doing this 'cuz you're a great friend, I'd suggest doing the BC with the monogram on top! HTH

imartsy Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 8

I'm charging $3 a cupcake - I'm doing it as a friend, but I try to charge a decent price at least. It's 24 cupcakes.

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 8

Then I would stick to doing BC on top of the cupcakes with monogram standing up. Like I said, you can make then really adorable with swirls and flourishes of the BC, and this way you would keep in line with your pricing. MHO anyway icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%