Preserving A Cake????

Decorating By luv2cook721 Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 5:06pm by lostincake

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 5

I made a baby shower cake with a mini bear cake as the topper. The family I made it for asked if there is a way to preserve the little bear to be able to set it on the shelf. I don't know if we can dip it in lacquer or not. Any ideas?

4 replies
Marmette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marmette Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 5

is there actual cake in the teddy bear or is it a fondant bear.
cos if there is actual cake i really dont see how it can be preserved. You could make them one out of fondant.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 5

On a shelf - I give it a couple weeks tops.

However, I did a bear pan shower cake once and the Mom-to-be refused to let anyone eat it. She kept it in her refrigerator for over 2 years. It looked fabulous up to the point when it finally caved in on itself.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 5

I still have the topper I made out of MMF for my son's 3rd birthday. I didn't do anything to it except keep it in a glass cupboard away from daily dust.

It's been almost a year now and it's still firm & solid. The only thing is a slight change to the grey colour of one of the figures. And that grey was one of the colours I had to mix myself so I think that's why the colour changed.

Maybe you might suggest they find a little clear box or storage unit to put it in. I've seen small clear plastic display type units that collectors use for different collectibles which might be a good idea. I think you can find them in hobby shops.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 5

Oh...nvm...now I see you wrote "mini bear cake as the topper"...I missed the "cake" there. So I don't think it'll work to just put it on a shelf...sorry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%