What Should I Charge?

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 1:16am by neecerator

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all CC'ers,

I have been asked to make a wedding and grooms cake by the daughter of my associate pastor.

She wants a simple 3 tier cake all done in buttercream with ribbon on the top and bottom tier and polka dots on the middle tier. Also a letter "J" for the groom in white buttercream also with black trim and polka dots.

She wants it all to serve about 100 people.

I don't want to over price because she is sorta a friend of the family.

What do you think I should charge per slice, I do live in a small town in Oklahoma, I was thinking $1.75.

Too little, not sure icon_confused.gif

Thanks for any advice.

It will be an outdoor wedding at the end of May, so I am hoping the icing will hold up, it will be in the shade.

I am going to use the Sam's buttercream.

Vicki

6 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 7

Wow...I live in a small town and about all you can get sometimes is 1.75 to 2.00 a serving.
Also, I have never used Sam's BC, but I do know that sometimes black and white BC mix. And not in a good way, especially in hot weather. Some others here might be more helpful.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 7

Hello...I have used a base stabilizer in my BC icing during warm weather. I got mine at a Cake Craft store here where I live in Dayton.
Check around at your cake supply stores to see if they have it. Tell them you need an icing stabilizer as the cake will be out where it is warm. I put in a half a cup of that, leaving out a half of cup of crisco, when making a batch of icing, but of course follow directions on what you purchase. I hope this helps!
thumbs_up.gif

VS8894 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 7

Do you think I should use fondant black dots on the cakes instead of buttercream? I won't be using the black trim icing on the wedding cake only the grooms, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

Vicki

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 7

I would type up an invoice showing the regular cost ($2.50-$3.00) per slice and then show a family/friend discount, so that she knows what it would normally cost her. Don't sell yourself short, even if it is a friend.

One of my friends thinks that I'll never get more than $20 for a reg. sized cake. Little does she know just how much blood, sweat and tears go into making cakes. Not to mention, time, effort, talent, experience, skill, baking, mixing, cooling, torting, making frosting, frosting, torting, smoothing, decorating, boxes, cake boards, ingredients, etc. Just my 2 cents. icon_smile.gif

VS8894 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 7

Well, she had originally just asked me to do the grooms cake. She came to me today and said the lady had backed out and would I be able to make the wedding cake also. Do you think it is out of line to ask her what the other lady was charging her? I could then take some off of that price.

What do you think?

Vicki

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:16am
post #7 of 7

Any time you gain or gather any kind of information, it will better equip you, in cakes, as well as in life. Sorry, don't mean to sound so Philosophical..... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%