First Fondant Cake

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 10:49am by KookieKris

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone,
I just uploaded my first Fondant Cake! I had SO much fun making this cake. I never wanted to get into fondant because I thought it would be hard. But I think it is easier than buttercream. I love how it is like an edible playdough and will be making the rest of my cakes out of this. icon_smile.gif Please go check it out..
Also, how do I get the powdered sugar off of the decorations?? And My stars didn't turn out the way I wanted them to. I wanted to lay them flat but I couldn't get them to fit and it looked weird with the gaps in it so I just over -lapped them. icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1330951&done=1

7 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 8

I hardly ever use PS with my fondant. If you must, rub a little shortening on them. To get them to lay flat, they must dry flat. Seems like they didn't dry lying down flat maybe? Which fondant recipe or box did you use?

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 8

I almost always use PS with MMF but I do try to rub most of it off gently with my hands or a paper towel after rolling before I cut out the shapes. This way, there isn't much powder on the surface at all, if any.

For what remains, a light brush with a wide soft bristled brush is usually enough.

For the underside, it usually doesn't matter since it generally doesn't show but if you need to, you can brush that off easily with a brush as well.

Btw, good attempt at your first fondant cake - the base white MMF looks very smooth and you managed to avoid any pleating or puckering which was a problem I had.

Isn't MMF just so much fun?? icon_smile.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 8

I've been mucking around with cakes for about 5 years, cause I had to make my friend's wedding cake in 2007. I used Wilton fondant and swore to never have anything to do with fondant again. It was expensive and tasted terrible! Then 6 months ago, I discovered MMF and the other homemade fondant recipes here and am really liking to do fondant cakes now. Each cake I do is better than the last. I still have so far to go to have cakes that look like SugarShack's though!

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

I hardly ever use PS with my fondant. If you must, rub a little shortening on them. To get them to lay flat, they must dry flat. Seems like they didn't dry lying down flat maybe? Which fondant recipe or box did you use?

I actually made the stars lay like that.. When I was thinking of doing it I thought that the stars would lay by each other but they didn't. I would have had to cut each star and I didn't have time. icon_smile.gif So I just overlapped them..

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishalynn0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

I actually made the stars lay like that.. When I was thinking of doing it I thought that the stars would lay by each other but they didn't. I would have had to cut each star and I didn't have time. icon_smile.gif So I just overlapped them..

If you are asking how to get them to stick you can just wet them with a paint brush and a little bit of water, then try sticking them on.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:30am
post #7 of 8

I think your first fondant cake looks brilliant! i think its a tricky thing to work with , and to get it right is difficult! keep practising though it will be well worth it!!! i remember my first fondant which was only . . 5 month ago, compared to now it looks . . Well truely terrible haha! but at the time i thought it was brilliant, So you CAN improve and get better! practise really does make perfect!

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:49am
post #8 of 8

It looks great ~ especially for your first one! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%