Cake Therapy

Decorating By kathyx1 Updated 15 Mar 2009 , 7:02pm by mgdsue02

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:36am
post #1 of 12

I just had to share my 'happy cakes'. I'm in the 2nd week of a 7 week course of radiotherapy for throat cancer and have to live away from home through the week so I can't do any baking until the weekend. Through the week I spend my free time shopping for cake books and planning what to bake when I go home on the weekend. These are some cupcakes I made using Paris Cutler's technique for smoothing fondant. Her new book is great "Planet Cake".
The point of this post is to share my enjoyment of cakes and what good therapy they are.
LL

11 replies
luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:42am
post #2 of 12

I hope all is going well with your treatment. t

Those are so sweet! I agree - cake is therapy! Actually, for me, any and all cooking and baking is. I'm about to go get my therapy on as a matter of fact! icon_biggrin.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 12

Good luck on your treatments. My mom is also undergoing cancer treatment. The clinic where she goes always has coffee and treats out for the patients and families, usually donated by the families. I like to take small decorated cakes or cupcakes when I take her in. At first I was afraid that people undergoing treatment might not have the stomach for the sweets, but they always disappear. So the cake therapy can work on both ends of the treatment spectrum.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 12

Best wishes as you go through your treatments...been there, done that! It is great to have a hobby and an interest to keep you occupied and have something to look forward to each weekend. Enjoy!

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 12

Good luck with your treatments. Caking is GREAT therapy! Creating something beautiful out of nothing sure takes your mind off your troubles, for sure!!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 12

Image Welcome to Cake central!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 12

Welcome, and I agree, your cakes certainly look happy! icon_smile.gif I'm a pediatrician, and have actually done some cookie decorating with some of the kiddos undergoing chemo and radiation while in-house. I think it's therapeutic for just about everybody involved. Best of luck with your treatment, and knowing how addictive these stinking cakes can be, I'm glad you've found something you can relax with and unwind in a little. icon_smile.gif

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 12

Isn't cake great! Your cupcakes are so cute. Hope your back home, healthy and happy soon.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 12

I wish you best of luck with your treatment as well.

As for cake therapy, I 100% agree. Whenever something goes wrong.. or i'm having a bit of an anxiety attack, all I want to do is go home and bake a cake (and eat tons of cake batter... but that's a whole other issue!).

I remember last year I wrecked my car and I was REALLY upset... I called my BF to tell him and he knows me so well that he went straight to the grocery store and stocked up on cake ingredients. Once I got home I baked, and baked, and baked. Omg we had so much cake just sitting around the house but it made me feel so much better so I just went with it. So yes, I agree, cake is complete therapy for me.

dreamdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamdelights Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #10 of 12

hope you get well soon and I will keep you in my prayers and trust after my hard day at work all I think about is cake wether to read about or make it.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:43pm
post #11 of 12

Wish you well and I totally agree about the therapy. I get threw my days with gumpaste. Its like an edible stress ball! The kneading and sculpting is very theraputic for me! It takes my mind off other things and I get lost in my own little world! Sometimes I dont realize how long Im doing and look at the clock and see that the day is already gone by!

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:02pm
post #12 of 12

Your cupcakes are darling. Good luck with your treatment. I agree that decorating is therapy. I could spend hours (and sometimes do) just playing with fondant. Hope you are back home for good soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%