A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 2 May 2014 , 12:52pm
post #5821 of 25877

Thank everyone for the tips on doming I'll give them all a try.

Chasingmytail could I get the chocolate fudge cake recipe of you please can't seem to find it thanks.

Jo here is the picture I posted last week when I made my own flower nails from food save BBQ skewers I found in the pound shop, just cut and bend with pliers. you can bend them into triangle shapes to stand up better but I just used the circle that was on the end already.

Petitecat I love victoria sponge and think a lot of people do, I think the cream vs butter probably depends on where they are gonna be eg. if outside and it is warm will cream be ok. I'm not a fan of brownies myself but everything else sounds very tasty to me. 

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 2 May 2014 , 12:55pm
post #5822 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxylee123 

Thank everyone for the tips on doming I'll give them all a try.

Chasingmytail could I get the chocolate fudge cake recipe of you please can't seem to find it thanks.

I'd like to try the recipe too! Chasingmytail- is this cake on the dense side? I'm making a ball cake!

petitecat Posted 2 May 2014 , 12:56pm
post #5823 of 25877

We've been attacked by spam again. Sigh...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2014 , 12:57pm
post #5824 of 25877

spam spasm similar to bowel spasm :-D  it's all gotta run it's course 

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 2 May 2014 , 12:59pm
post #5825 of 25877

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

spam spasm

Sounds painful :D

Siany01 Posted 2 May 2014 , 1:01pm
post #5826 of 25877

AIt's cooked!!! The outside is probably cremated but the centre will be yummy lol. It's only my husbands birthday cake so he won't mind. Do I cool in the tin or take out and cool in a rack. The recipe doesn't say.

petitecat Posted 2 May 2014 , 1:04pm
post #5827 of 25877

We've been attacked by spam again. Sigh...

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

There's a tummy bug doing its rounds here. It's infected CC lol

petitecat Posted 2 May 2014 , 1:05pm
post #5828 of 25877

Siany, not sure sorry. I thought all cakes needed to cool first in the tins as a matter of course? Someone will help you out I'm sure!

-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2014 , 1:08pm
post #5829 of 25877

i cool mine in the pan but there's no right or wrong way--just what works for you--

Siany01 Posted 2 May 2014 , 1:13pm
post #5830 of 25877

AJean, yes all do for 15 mins or so then on a rack but some require it till totally cool.

I may have to take it out as I need it to cool so I can decorate it later. Should of made it yesterday really but I was busy all day.

petitecat Posted 2 May 2014 , 1:19pm
post #5831 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siany01 

Jean, yes all do for 15 mins or so then on a rack but some require it till totally cool.

I may have to take it out as I need it to cool so I can decorate it later. Should of made it yesterday really but I was busy all day

You could put it on your cooling rack next to a slightly open window... It's quite cool today so the cool air should speed it up! Or outside on a cooling rack covered in a colander that's big enough :)

sugarluva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarluva Posted 2 May 2014 , 1:47pm
post #5832 of 25877

Wow everyone has been chatty on here today I just had 3 pages to catch up on!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo Field 

OK yes good tip re: spaghetti some people use rice crispies I've also learnt! I'm probably setting myself up for a big fail but I will put a pic on of what the cake 'should' look like ...

When I'm making models with heads and limbs that are likely to fall off (which mine always do!) I have started using those candy stick sweets they sell in little boxes for kids. They're nice and chunky and strong and if someone wants to eat the model (again someone in my family always will) they only get a nice bit of a hard sugar stick and not hard spaghetti in the middle. Though they might not work for very thin delicate objects but they're great for figures/animals heads!

I think I have settled on a design for my Mum's birthday cake and I'm going to go along the lines of vintage maybe doing a bird cage cake with some vintage style cupcakes. Bit worried about the bird cage to be honest but we'll see!

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 2 May 2014 , 1:52pm
post #5833 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

:-D dontcha just wish there was some voodoo spell or other that we could use to get rid of all this spam..........hmmmmm:wink:

Nice tip about squeezing the carrots - I would never have thought about that!  Thanks K8memphis!

-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2014 , 2:03pm
post #5834 of 25877

you're very welcome

Jo Field Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo Field Posted 2 May 2014 , 2:56pm
post #5835 of 25877

AMy colour is not as good as the picture and no doubt the figure will be the same! Will upload a pic tomorrow if not too bad lol

P's on a Facebook group I'm in I have started what would seem a war over the question should eggs be stored in or out of fridge? I know they have to be at room temp for baking but just wondered how you all store them ??

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:08pm
post #5836 of 25877

I store my eggs in the fridge and take them out and let them get to room temperature before I use them. I was brought up to put eggs in the fridge I don't know if it is right or wrong I just know I wouldn't have any eggs left if I left them out on the side all the time they would end up broken for sure my daughter thinks the kitchen side is where her school bag goes when she comes home from school or anything else she feels like dumping there to be honest :smile: Mind my partner isn't any better.

petitecat Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:09pm
post #5837 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo Field 

My colour is not as good as the picture and no doubt the figure will be the same! Will upload a pic tomorrow if not too bad lol

P's on a Facebook group I'm in I have started what would seem a war over the question should eggs be stored in or out of fridge? I know they have to be at room temp for baking but just wondered how you all store them ??

I take them out when I'm about to bake. I put them in a pan with tepid water. By the time I've got all the other ingredients out, It should be room temperature. If I'm organised I take them out 1-2 hours before baking, depending on the temp in the house :)

Siany01 Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:14pm
post #5838 of 25877

AI've taken the top off the cake although it not cool yet to A try and help it cool a bit quicker and B cos I'm impatient.

I don't think it looks cooked though. It has almost of ingredients to make it moist and obviously the carrot is very liquid so I'm wondering if this is why. The knife can out practically clean. Just a bit of cling expected from a cake with hot fruit in it so not sure.

This is the top, probably can't really see in the pic but thought I'd put it on for opinions

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3229465/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Siany01 Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:19pm
post #5839 of 25877

AIt's not cook. 3.5 hours and I have a raw cake. Like most of the insides, as in right from the edge are raw. How is that even possible?

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3229471/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:21pm
post #5840 of 25877

still have to wait for it to cool before you can tell for sure--just being warm can make it be gummy--it might be fine--the picture is not encouraging but it could still be ok because warm cake like that gets all glued up--

and not to worry if it is gummy you can still dry that out and make something incredible--probably

chasingmytail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasingmytail Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:22pm
post #5841 of 25877

Sorry -nope def not cooked and very dense - I always mix in the flour last it looks like the there has been a problem with either the recipe or the method.

chasingmytail Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:28pm
post #5842 of 25877

MY recipe is off the BBC Good Food but no longer on there:

20cm deep tin

150/130fan/gas2,

300g plain flour, 200g soft brown sugar, 4 eggs, 250ml oil, zest 1 orange, zest 1 lemon, 200g grated carrots,150g chopped walnuts, vanilla bean extract, handful of sultanas, 1sp baking powder, 2tsp cinnamon, 1tsp mixed spice.

Mix together cook for 1hr 20mins or so.  Or use 2 sandwich tins can cook for 40mins - 1hr ish.

Topping 125g butter, 50g icing sugar, 250g cream cheese - I add zest and extract.  You could use a mascarpone cheese finish.

Siany01 Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:33pm
post #5843 of 25877

A

Original message sent by chasingmytail

MY recipe is off the BBC Good Food but no longer on there:

20cm deep tin 150/130fan/gas2, 300g plain flour, 200g soft brown sugar, 4 eggs, 250ml oil, zest 1 orange, zest 1 lemon, 200g grated carrots,150g chopped walnuts, vanilla bean extract, handful of sultanas, 1sp baking powder, 2tsp cinnamon, 1tsp mixed spice.

Mix together cook for 1hr 20mins or so.  Or use 2 sandwich tins can cook for 40mins - 1hr ish.

Topping 125g butter, 50g icing sugar, 250g cream cheese - I add zest and extract.  You could use a mascarpone cheese finish.

Thank you. I might try that later. The other is in the bin. I need to get to the shops now .

Siany01 Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:34pm
post #5844 of 25877

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

still have to wait for it to cool before you can tell for sure--just being warm can make it be gummy--it might be fine--the picture is not encouraging but it could still be ok because warm cake like that gets all glued up--

and not to worry if it is gummy you can still dry that out and make something incredible--probably

[COLOR=FF8C00]♥[/COLOR]

Haha loving your optimism :)

chasingmytail Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:35pm
post #5845 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitecat 

I'd like to try the recipe too! Chasingmytail- is this cake on the dense side? I'm making a ball cake!

Give you the link.  This is the best chocolate cake, it rises to the perfect height for the 4" cake, you can add orange, more coffee etc and I either use a dark chocolate ganche or white.  It freezes incredibly well (I think it improved) and not dense or heavy. http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2011/02/02/lindys-chocolate-fudge-cake-recipe/  My mistake its Lindy not Tracey - silly me!!!

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 2 May 2014 , 4:42pm
post #5846 of 25877

A[quote name="Siany01" url="/t/622656/a-thread-for-all-uk-bakers/5820#post_7510939"]It's not cook. 3.5 hours and I have a raw cake. Like most of the insides, as in right from the edge are raw. How is that even possible?

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3229471/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/quote]

That happens to my fruit cakes when I use too much/over-soaked fruit, especially big fat sultanas or prunes... Maybe that's all it is? Maybe try a small one and not soak the fruit first (if you did!!)

I've loved catching up on everyone's natterings :) it's lovely! Things have been crazy for me but not cake related, my secondment ended and I went back to my old job but the boss is on long term sick so I took a pay hit to end up running my old department! Gah! I wonder if the universe is sending me a hint... It might be time to go FT cakes!! Eek scary!!!

Jo Field Posted 2 May 2014 , 5:50pm
post #5847 of 25877

AOh I do sympathise Siany, that's the same thing that happened to me with my huge song mix all in one tin! So annoying when you waste lots if ingredients.

I'm sure you can rustle up something yummy x

Jo Field Posted 2 May 2014 , 5:50pm
post #5848 of 25877

ASponge mix !

Siany01 Posted 2 May 2014 , 5:51pm
post #5849 of 25877

AOh exciting stuff Gray :)

I really don't know what happened. I didn't soak the fruit but there was a lot of liquid in the carrots so I think it's that. I just couldn't believe it though, in 3.5 hours I could cook an 8kg turkey but not an 8inch carrot cake :D

New one is in with chasingmytails recipe. I am much happier with the batter this time, it's much thicker than last time and less of it. I also used k8's tip of drying out the carrots a bit using a Muslin cloth.

We shall see how this one comes out.

Jo Field Posted 2 May 2014 , 5:54pm
post #5850 of 25877

AGood luck x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%