A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 5:36pm
post #4831 of 25877

Ok. Just adding what ever the required amount isn't it?

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 5:36pm
post #4832 of 25877

AOops, Hello chasingmytail, long time no "see"! :-)

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 6:00pm
post #4833 of 25877

AYes Bashini I just tiny bit and before you know you have a bright colour, they are the same price as the pastes too.

Maisie, hows the cooker going?

I know this question had been asked before, does anyone bake and freeze cakes so you have them when you want one? Have all this nice spare time now and probably should bake, bake and more, instead of doing the mundane things like cleaning the loo!!

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 6:22pm
post #4834 of 25877

Quote:

Originally Posted by bashini 

Thanks Kathy. I just checked and I couldn't find any colours. Just the flavouring. 

Barbara, just had a look. How do you use this gel colouring? My recipe calls for 36ml I think. Would you mix the gel with a bit of water?

Sorry Bashini - I think I misled you.  They are flavourings except the red velvet one is both a flavour and a colour - comes in a bigger bottle. 

Yes, Maisie - how is your cooker problem?

Kathy

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 6:43pm
post #4835 of 25877

AHoly spam cakes people. What in earth happened to the site? I go to whipsnade zoo for the day and someone broke the place lol

Way too much to catch up on. Hi new peeps *waves* I'm not even going to look at those machines you are all talking about. They will break my bank lol

Never made a red velvet but I love me some whoopie pies :)

bashini Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 6:53pm
post #4836 of 25877

Thanks ladies. I have a consultation next week. Think I need to do a trial before that. :)

DaysCakes Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 6:54pm
post #4837 of 25877

Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam - in honour of the Monty Python lot!  It wouldn't have happened if I had bought a Stilhaus Kitchen......

Siany - you learn something every day (and I am not talking intercaste marriage or divorcing one's wife or whatever the latest in the long relentless list of rubbish is pushing....) - who knew there was a machine which would print on sugarpaste and then cut it out for you!  I am wanting one and I don't even know what it is!!

My daughter is the whoopie pie expert - she mumbled something about buttermilk and went off in a huddle with her machine drawings - she's on a non-cake day today :(  When I find out what she did, I will let you know!

Kathy

maisie73 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 7:27pm
post #4838 of 25877

AI flagged about 3 of those threads this morning, I thought it might get sorted when the Americans woke up and started flagging but obviously not. My cooker is fixed! :-D New fan, new element and a new clock thrown in for good measure! :-D

nannycook Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 7:33pm
post #4839 of 25877

AMaisie, now go and bake a cake! And make flowers with your cutters.

t4h3r4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4h3r4 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 7:47pm
post #4840 of 25877

AGood evening everyone,

I hope everyobe is well.

I'm quite new to the forum as well as to the cake business.

I'm wondering if any one can assist me with a quierie in regards to starting a business while recieving social benefits or shall I start a seperate thread?

The reason I asked here is because I'm from the uk and need advice from others who are from the uk or know if the system.

Kind Regards

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 8:25pm
post #4841 of 25877

Hello t4h3r4. Welcome to the forum! I don't have any advice with regards benefits and business but I'm sure someone else will, or yes perhaps start a new thread. It's probably best to ring social services about it, or HMRC?

Yay Maisie- glad to know oven is fixed!

Kathy, the cake business is like computers- there's always something new. I doubt I'll ever keep up, much less manage to acquire the lot!

Barbara, I freeze cakes only when I have an order or have surplus because freezer's nearly always full!

er, whoever asked about my making purple velvet cake- yes just like red velvet except I used purple (my little one asked for that colour). From what I gather you can make any velvet colour except yellow and orange (I think). I will try a different recipe and hope that turns out better than today's!

goodnight everyone, early night for me I think!

DaysCakes Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 8:59pm
post #4842 of 25877

Welcome t4h3r4 - sorry no advice on benefits - try direct.gov.uk - they might help you.

maisie73 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 9:23pm
post #4843 of 25877

AWelcome t4h3r4, the best and only place to get the advice you need is DWP. Thanks ladies, can't wait to start on Saturdays cake now. :-) Off to bed for me, sooner I go to sleep, sooner the morning will get here and I can play with my new toys. :-D Night night.

t4h3r4 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 9:27pm
post #4844 of 25877

AThank you, will give dwp a call x

nannycook Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 9:48pm
post #4845 of 25877

AMaisie! You're so funny!

F4H3F4, are you saying that you want help to start your business?

natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 9:58pm
post #4846 of 25877

AT4h3r4 Mention NEA to the DWP, you get it through the job centre and it is a form of benefits for business start ups. Do not let them send you anywhere that is not a job centre though, I did and got into a terrible mess because of it!

t4h3r4 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 10:25pm
post #4847 of 25877

AHi,

what I want to know is do social benefits such as income support get effected as soon as you register as self employed with hmrc?

I'm currently a stay at home mum and on social benefits. I've been baking for family and friends for years now and would like to turn it into a hone business but don't know if I'll make enough in the beginning to support myself without tge aid of my current benefits etc.

Siany01 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 10:30pm
post #4848 of 25877

AYour best bet is to be upfront with them. Call the dwp and ask them. They are the only people you should be taking advice from in this as they are who would take you to court for benefits fraud if you followed someone's wrong advice.

natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 10:31pm
post #4849 of 25877

ADefinitely talk to the DWP about it. The amount you earn has much bearing on your benefits so it should still be possible for you to coninue claiming whilst starting up.

t4h3r4 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 10:32pm
post #4850 of 25877

AOkie dokie, will give them call and see what they say x

nannycook Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 6:44am
post #4851 of 25877

AJean, forgot I hadn't replied about red velvet cakes, I cant remember where I had the recipe from, I know it had cocoa powder in it, dont think it was as light and fluffy as normal cakes but still nice, and with cream cheese even better, I actually think they look better than they taste.

bashini Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 7:19am
post #4852 of 25877

Good Morning everyone!! 

Maisie, glad your oven is sorted!! 

t4h3r4, welcome to the thread. :)

nannycook Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 7:51am
post #4853 of 25877

AMorning guys, what is everyone up to today? Any cakes etc? I have some Easter cupcakes, and a chocolate log, I know, I know, it isn't xmas but a lady liked the xmas log I made a friend and wanted one for Easter, so I made a tiny bunny and a bunny bum, some carrots, to go on there.

Siany01 Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 7:59am
post #4854 of 25877

AI'm going to make a cake tomorrow for Easter today I have to go to Costco, sainsbury and then take my son to physio.

I am so over the holidays. I have no time to cake :)

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 8:03am
post #4855 of 25877

AHoly cupcakes!! One day away and there's like five new pages lol (ps I totally love the way you keep sneaking 'holy cupcakes' in here!)

Well I finish a 4 year secondment on Friday and go back to my old office so I've been baking a few recipes I've wanted to try for ages so I can leave them as a farewell to my office buddies :-) I'll try to snap some pics as they devour them tomorrow! We have lemon & ginger drizzle, white mudcake and I really wanted to try a coulis filling (bright red leakage disater averted last night!) and a dark mudcake with caramel and ganche (no praline pecans as I burned them all lol!) I must say I really love that mudcake Maisie, I don't think I could sell it, I worry people will think it's undercooked.... I love it though, reminds me of brownies!

Have a great day everyone!

Siany01 Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 8:07am
post #4856 of 25877

AGrey if you use http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2011/02/02/lindys-chocolate-fudge-cake-recipe/

It's not as gooey. It's my fail safe works everytime recipe. It's Sooo good.

And holy cupcakes are out the window. Today CC is full of spam cakes again :/

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 8:13am
post #4857 of 25877

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siany01 

Grey if you use http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2011/02/02/lindys-chocolate-fudge-cake-recipe/

It's not as gooey. It's my fail safe works everytime recipe. It's Sooo good.

And holy cupcakes are out the window. Today CC is full of spam cakes again :/

I feel sorry for the poor volunteers having to clean up that spam mess :-(

That's actually one of the recipes I tried! Mine was very dense.... maybe I need to check my oven (Eeeeek!) .....faaaaaaaaaaar more likely human error lol

DaysCakes Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 8:21am
post #4858 of 25877

Morning all!  You are all so busy....my kitchen is being turned over to the youngsters for the next 3 days while I am hard at work in the office.  My daughter and niece are going to be doing chocolate "things" - I say "things" because I am not totally sure what they will be.  They want to bake in my brand new Alan Silverwood tins and I am having a bit of a panic attack about that as they are pristine in their packet.  I know I should let them do it but there's a bit of me that wants to be first....  Silly of me really as they are so excited and I will give in - but I am a very possessive baker!:)

I want to be in Gray's office today - you should surely copyright the "Holy Cupcakes" thing Gray!  Love it.

Maisie - so pleased your oven is sorted - I cannot imagine what that must feel like.

Nanny - I love the idea of an Easter log cake!  I have never thought of it outside of Christmas!  Bunny bottoms will be so cute.

No buying stuff for me today - waiting for my chocolate modelling book to arrive.......

Kathy

Siany01 Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 8:26am
post #4859 of 25877

A

Original message sent by DaysCakes

I know I should let them do it but there's a bit of me that wants to be first....  Silly of me really as they are so excited and I will give in - but I am a possessive baker.

Kathy

Haha I would totally bake a cake in each tonight just to make sure I was the first. There's no way I could let someone else use them first, it would make me sit in a corner and rock lmao

DaysCakes Posted 16 Apr 2014 , 8:31am
post #4860 of 25877

Oh Siany - that's it!  When I get in I will have to whip something up!  Forget dinner.... I am going to Christen my tins!  I am glad it's not just me who feels this way about new stuff ;)

Will go out lunchtime and buy some cake bits - yes, I know I wasn't going to spend today but this is, well, for my sanity!  (Plus I have an overwhelming urge to buy a tin of Spam....) :-D

Kathy

Edited to ask a serious question:  Would you put your cake mix in a large piping bag because they are teeny tiny?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%