How Did You Start

Business By CCmom3boys Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 8:52pm by jewelykaye

CCmom3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCmom3boys Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 5

OK - this is my first post, so be easy on me if it has been discussed before icon_lol.gif

So my hubby and I are still taking classes, and really just love the creative aspect, and the fact that we can make the kids birthday cakes, as opposed to ordering one from the grocery store. So now we seem to be filling requests left and right. We don't do perfect work; definately not "cake shop" ready.

In FL we can't bake and sell in the home kitchen... what about "donations"? I mean we are gaining experience and talent with every cake we make - do you charge for that?

How did you guys start? Do you have shops? Do you bake out of your home? Is there a sample price list from somewhere? How do you build your reputation? etc. etc icon_rolleyes.gif

4 replies
DNBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DNBunny Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 5

Hi CCmom3boys, welcome to the boards. icon_smile.gif

What I would suggest first is read read read.

There are a couple of good books that you might want to get (like from the library or a bookstore):

How to Open a Financially Successful Bakery by Sharon Fullen and Douglas R. Brown

Baking for Profit: Starting a Small Bakery by George Bathie

Start A Cake Business Today by Paula Spencer

There are also tons of archived messages on this forum for you to read too. Other people have asked the same question as you and it's been answered lots of time by the professionals on here.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 5

If you can't sell food out of your home kitchen, you can't take "donations" either. That basically constitutes selling it, just with a pretty wrapper on it! icon_cool.gif

I think that there have been a lot of threads recently about businesses in Florida, if you do a search on the forums you'll come up with some specific threads.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:54am
post #4 of 5

CCmom3boys, welcome to Cake Central.

DNBunny, Thank-you for listing the business books.

-Debbie B.

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 5

I live in Texas and it is not (currently) legal to bake and sell out of your home but you can rent space from commercial kitchens. I was renting space from another cake decorator a while ago. You can look into some churches. If you have any large churches in your area they probably have a licensed kitchen and might be willing to let you use it if you agree to donate to the church.

There is always a way to make it work. Like the other girls said there is a lot of information about this on Cakecentral. Just keep reading and I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

Also, if people have seen your cakes and want to order a cake from you then you should charge for it. They are choosing to have you provide a service to them because they have seen (and possibly tasted) your product. Do not feel guilty about charging them. I think we all go through this when we are new. I know I did.

I took the classes as well and sent the practice cakes to my husband's work. His co-workers started asking for b-day cakes. I felt horrible charging because I didn't think I was up to snuff but they (the client) have greater faith in you if you charge them. Plus with the time and effort these cakes take you deserve to be compensated.

Good Luck, I'm sure you guys will do great. Also, I think it's awesome that your husband does this with you. Mine helps out when he can and it makes it even more fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%