Can You Refrigerate Fondant?

Decorating By triciat126 Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 7:31pm by triciat126

triciat126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
triciat126 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:41am
post #1 of 6

I am making a wedding cake for my cousin next week and have a question about refrigerating fondant after it is on the cakes. I know that all the coats of buttercream are supposed to be thoroughly chilled to ensure that it is set, but after laying the fondant on the cake can I put it the refrigerator overnight until I am ready to decorate?

I have read on this site that some have experienced condensation or bad reactions due to drying out the fondant. I'd appreciate any advice that you may have for me thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:51am
post #2 of 6

Fondant brands differ, but you CAN generally refrigerate the types that are made using tempered chocolate. (Not sure which brand you use?) I use McCall's brand ivory, made with white chocolate. Works like a charm! It refrigerates and thaws well, with little to no condensation at all.

http://www.mccalls-cakes.com/

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:07am
post #3 of 6

Some fondant doesn't refrigerate well and the culprit is condensation. You get more problems with modern no-frost fridges - in my fridge, the back is literally covered with water drops at normal setting.

If you have to refrigerate (and I do) crank the fridge on max for this night. You want this condensation to freeze.
Usually, better solution is cold pantry. But not everybody has one.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 6

I use Satin Ice and ALL of my cakes get refrigerated, without exception.

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 6

I use Michele Foster's recipe from this website and refrigerate it on a lower setting. Never had a problem.

triciat126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
triciat126 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 6

thanks for all the advice I truely appreciate it!

I am using Decopac satin ice rollable icing. Has anyone used this brand?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%