I Need Help...trying To Make A Monsters Vs. Aliens Cake!

Decorating By Krystle56 Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 8:41pm by Krystle56

Krystle56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krystle56 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 5

I have taken courses 1-3 of Wilton cake decorating classes. I was asked by a friend to do a Monsters vs. Aliens cake for her daughters birthday that's coming up.

What is the best way to do this? I wanted to "draw" the picture of a few characters on the cake with BC icing, but I wasn't sure how to go about it. Do you trace it first on wax paper or something? PLEASE HELPPPP! icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

4 replies
becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 5

You could do a Frozen Buttercream Transfer....click on the Articles tab - there is a great tutorial here on CC!
Good luck!

Krystle56 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 5

Great idea! Is that about the most common way to do a cartoon cake??

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 5

You could also do a royal icing runout - sort of a plaque that dries harder than buttercream...but I have never tried it.
I have always done frozen buttercream transfers and I have had no problem with them. Just remember your image will come out reversed. If you look at the article you will see that Pooh is facing the opposite way on the finished transfer. I always add smaller details and writing after my image is on the cake.

Krystle56 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 5

We did the royal icing runout in class. We had to make some birds, and I didn't like how mine turned out, so I pitched them icon_smile.gif lol.

I really like the idea of a frozen buttercream transfer!! Thank you again. I'm going to do a practice cake just to make sure it works out good.

The only thing confusing about the example (to me) is how do you fill in the back without messing the whole thing up? Do you always have to fill in the back, or have you tried just freezing it how it is? I see where it says to pat it down so it fills in the cracks, then I believe step 8 is where you fill in the back.

THANK YOU again for you help, I really appreciate it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%