Buttercream Is Grainy

Decorating By oliversmum172 Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 1:21am by sayhellojana

oliversmum172 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliversmum172 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:30am
post #1 of 18

l have made buttercream a few times and its been ok but this last time it was grainy, horrible, did l add the icing sugar to the butter to quick?
thank you
helen,

17 replies
gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:37am
post #2 of 18

no, I don't believe adding the sugar to quickly will make it grainy. Perhaps if you let it mix a minute or 2 longer?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:04am
post #3 of 18

More than likely it's the sugar. Every now & then I get a grainy batch (even though I buy name brand). It becomes the filling or I use it w/ things mixed in so it isn't as noticeable.

oliversmum172 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:08am
post #4 of 18

thank you, l mixed it for ages thinking maybe if l keep mixing it would get better, but it wouldnt....
maybe it was the batch, that makes me feel a little better, because l was thinking l couldnt make it properly anymore...
thank you so much

BakerDee1875 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerDee1875 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:07am
post #5 of 18

Ive had this problem before and it was the sugar. I was in the process of making a cake and ran out. I had some cheap sugar left over that my mom bought and used it. bad mistake. icon_cry.gif I find that if i use walmarts best value brand i never have trouble with it. Its cheaper and it works just as well.

LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:23am
post #6 of 18

I just had this same problem this week! I used the Wally mart brand and it came out grainy, I grabbed the bag that wasnt done right and it messed up entire batch icon_cry.gif

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 18

I've had this happen with sam's club brand and C&H. The last time I was able to save it by remixing it with a little extra fat. I'm guessing it help to absorb the sugar particles making it grainy.

awilliford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awilliford Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 18

I had this same problem with the last few batches I made. I used to have everyone rave over my buttercream but had someone say something to the effect of it tasting gritty like dirt! icon_cry.gif I was devistated!!! Anyhow I didn't realize till I read this discussion that I had changed the brand of sugar I used. Guarantee you I won't use it again...even though I have tons of it left!

madhousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madhousewife Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 18

Any recommendations on a good brand of PS?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 18

I always use Domino. Also, using hi-ratio shortening will make a world of difference in the creaminess of your buttercream

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 18

I have had it happen also. I used to use Dixie Crystals until I noticed alot of "grit". Now I only use Domino's and so far... no grit.

I really do think it is the sugar.

oliversmum172 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:09am
post #12 of 18

thank you so much for all the replies, l had used a really good brand, maybe it was the batch lm thinking....thank you its been great to read all your replies....helen

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:17am
post #13 of 18

It can hapeen to any brand though. I have had it happen with dominoes, walmart and store brand from time to time.

its just a stupid thing we have to deal with once in a while

ingrid05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ingrid05 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:17am
post #14 of 18

my wilton instructor says to only use Dixie Cristal pure cane sugar not the cheap brand to avoid this from happening.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:18am
post #15 of 18

All PS buttercreams are going to be grainy...there are ways to make them less grainy, of couse, but the only way to have a completely gain-less buttercream is IMBC

brandywinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandywinecakes Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:52am
post #16 of 18

I've never made a batch that wasn't grainy! It's so frustrating! I've tried all of the suggestions that I could find on CC...pulverize the fat, use popcorn salt in place of regular salt, sift the ps, let each addition of ps mix completely with the fat before adding more, mix for several minutes once all ps in incorporated, change brands of ps...and nothing helps. That's why I started using the Whipped Cream Butter Cream recipe. There is no grit in it at all and it tastes wonderful! If you ever find the trick, please post it!

oliversmum172 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 10:52pm
post #17 of 18

silly question probably
but what is imbc?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:21am
post #18 of 18

Italian Meringue Buttercream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%