Ruby Slippers

Decorating By cookieswithdots Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 4:28pm by cookieswithdots

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:11am
post #1 of 6

I'm trying to figure out how to make Dorothy's slippers from the Wizard of Oz. They are for my Granddaughter's birthday. I don't want them too large, just maybe about 4" long. Oh- out of gumpaste.

Melissa

5 replies
lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:16am
post #2 of 6

I honestly have no clue! What about one of the shoe mold sets? I wish I could help you!

I would love to know also, I would love to try ruby slippers, so I will bump this for you!

Good Luck

gr8_seamstress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8_seamstress Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:33am
post #3 of 6

Shape them from the gumpaste. Then cover with red sugar, not the fine sort. You want to use the larger crystal sugar.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:48am
post #4 of 6

On Ace of Cakes Elaina made red shoes that were the shoe shape, she covered them in little small tiny circle cut-out with a small teeny tiny ball in the center to look like sequins, glued them all on, then painted it red and painted over with luster dust. LOTS of work, but VERY beautiful!

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:13am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8_seamstress

Shape them from the gumpaste. Then cover with red sugar, not the fine sort. You want to use the larger crystal sugar.

That's how I'd do it! There are tons of patterns and instructions for gumpaste shoes, just copy (and alter a little if necessary for shape), that using red gumpaste.
Once their dry (I think) coat them with something shiny or sparkly. I'd probably use the large crystal sugar (dyed red), but some other ideas would be painting the shoes with red luster dust, or dousing them liberaly with eddible glitter.
Personally, I'd be inclined to use both luster dust, AND red crystal sugar, but I'm not sure how well that would work (maybe dry brushing the dust on top of the sugar? icon_confused.gif ).
Good luck, and don't forget to post pics! thumbs_up.gif

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 6

I'm still not really sure about these. We'll see. I don't have tons of time and although I think I can attempt a lot, I'm not sure about it. The problem is that too many of the shoes are too baby and the others are too high heel.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%