Who Does The Flower Arrangements?

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 8:19pm by Kerry_Kake

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 7

I am thinking of doing my first wedding cake this spring. I haven't had a consultation with the customer yet. So I don't know if she wants gumpaste, silk or fresh flowers for her cake. So if it's gumpaste, obviously I arrange the flowers. But what if she wants silk or fresh. Does the florist arrange sprays for the cake? And the silk, does she buy them and let me arrange them? I remember when I bought my wedding cake, my cake decorator said she doesn't do flower arrangement. We did silk and arranged and brought them to her. She did give us the circles on how big to arrange them. But I think I would rather do the arranging so it looks right on the cake.
Anybody can give me suggestions on how they handle this would be great!

6 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 7

If you know how to arrange flowers I suggest you do it all. You don't know what they will show up with when they come for the cake and you don't need that at the last minute. I would do it all and charge for it.

Kerry_Kake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 7

So what does everyone else on here do with fresh/silk flowers? I see thoughts of cakes on here with them... icon_rolleyes.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 7

fresh flowers can be tricky/ time consuming - presumably theres a florist for the wedding, so they might do the arangement with the right kind of flowers (non-toxic, pesticide free, wrapped or wired up properly). although if you want to do the arrangement your self, just rember the extra time!
if its silk flowers id say the bride should provide them, i would be happy to do that, since they could be organised weeks in advance. you could always source them your self, but thats more of your time.
xx

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 7

I wouldn't want ANYONE else putting flowers (fresh, silk or whatever) on a cake I made. Suppose they do a crap job of arranging and make the cake look like a hot mess? All people are going to hear is that "Kerry_Kake did the cake" and never bother to ask if someone else added the flowers. I don't use fresh or silk flowers either... sugarpaste only.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 7

I do the flowers on my cakes. It's in the contract. Most florists are RELIEVED to hear that I'll take care of it. It's my cake ... it's my reputation ... it's me the bride is going to whine to if the cake looks ugly.

Kerry_Kake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Suppose they do a crap job of arranging and make the cake look like a hot mess? All people are going to hear is that "Kerry_Kake did the cake" and never bother to ask if someone else added the flowers.

This is exactly what I was thinking! Not everyone has the nack for arranging flowers. icon_razz.gif To me, putting flowers on the cake is still part of the decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%