Mini Cheesecake Pricing? 1St Time!

Business By cmalin3 Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm by cmalin3

cmalin3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalin3 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:28am
post #1 of 6

Okay, is everyone sick of the "what do I charge" questions yet? I'm sorry, but I must add another. I absolutely love this business, but have barely gotten my feet wet.

I'm so new to taking orders that I have very little "trial time", and so don't have any good idea of how long things take. I get about 5 days a month off, so practice time is limited and funds for practice supplies are very limited.

I just received a wedding order (my first! icon_biggrin.gificon_cry.gif ) from a coworker for 200 mini cheesecakes divvied up into 9 flavors (about 2 dozen of each flavor), unfrosted (just decorated with a berry or other small thing), plus a small round personal cake for the B&G.

I don't even know where to start!

5 replies
Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 6

Hi! I've done mini cheesecakes for a wedding and honestly, it's easier than a cake. I have 4 sets of the pans, so it was pretty easy to get a lot done in a little bit of time. I charge $25 a dozen and have considered even raising my prices. I believe I have some pictures in my photos. Let me know if you have more questions.

cmalin3 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Rexy - I also have 4 pans, so I'm hoping this will prove as easy as you've said it is. Since they're to be unfrosted with only "natural" decor, I think that will really help. I do love making cheesecakes so this should be fun.

I didn't mention she gave me a budget of $400, so your suggestion would put me right around her top figure. Sounds fair though. It's been really hard to price what I do. Since I started out just doing friends and family requests, now I have to draw the line somewhere and stop doing free and heavily-discounted jobs.

I fear I've already set a precedent though....
Wish me luck, and thanks for the advice!

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 2:25am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy

Hi! I've done mini cheesecakes for a wedding and honestly, it's easier than a cake. I have 4 sets of the pans, so it was pretty easy to get a lot done in a little bit of time.

Do you use mini-cheesecake pans or cupcake pans with liners?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalin3

I don't even know where to start!

You can start by telling us what size "mini" is.

Mike

cmalin3 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 6

Fair enough Mike - the minis I'm doing are going to be 2" diameter by about 1.5" high. Much smaller than my sample sizes using my 4" springforms, but that's what the bride prefers.

My pans have 12 cavities per pan, and have a loose disc in the bottom that I can push up to release the cheesecakes. (Think Norpro makes them? Got them as gifts several years ago.)

Cupcake pans with liners would probably be easier, but I want to ensure they'll have perfectly smooth sides - no ridges from the liners.

I really appreciate the advice from everyone - thanks all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%