Have No Idea What To Charge!

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 7:30pm by MomLittr

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 4

I have been asked to make a fondant-covered, "topsy turvy" cake to feed 50 people. Anyone of you who do these, what is the going rate? For 50 people, can I do it in 3 layers (what sizes do you recommend)?

Am new at this type of cake and want to price fairly. Thanks!

Debbie

3 replies
1dessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1dessertdiva Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 4

I have done quite a few, I charge a base price (wedding cake charge) and add 50% for fondant and 30% for sculpted or carved depending on complexity of detail.
The topsey turvey wedding cake I did last weekend was around 470.00, however the Quincera cake was 195.00 (again degree of difficulty)

Also I use more cake for topsey turvey 3 layers instead of 2 therefore more cake is being consumed.

Best of Luck!!

Joan

MomLittr Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:55am
post #3 of 4

I was thinking of charging around $3.50 per serving, making the cake $175.00 for a 50 serving cake. Don't know if the one who asked realizes this will not be cheap.

deb

MomLittr Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 4

Now she wants a quote for the topsy-turvy cake, both a 50 serving (2 layers) or 100 serving (3 layers). Is $3.50 per serving fair for this type of thing? I really don't have a base price because I have never done anything other than birthday cakes for friends. I am afraid that if I double the price for the bigger cake, it will be out of her range - am actually only adding the smallest layer if I go three high.

Please, what do you charge for a topsy-turvy cake? I need to get back to her tomorrow.

deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%