I Need To Color Buttercream Midnight Blue..help!!!!

Decorating By ginentonic Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 4:37am by ginentonic

ginentonic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginentonic Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:56am
post #1 of 15

I am making a cake that is supposed to be dark blue like the night sky and need help with the coloring...what is the best way to get a deep dark blue?

14 replies
lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:09am
post #2 of 15

I have never done it on purpose but I did achieve a midnight blue when I was trying to make a dark gray lol. I used some black and thought it needed something else so added a tinge of sky blue to the gray (the only blue paste I had on hand) and got midnight blue.

Perhaps someone else with more expertise can answer this better but it's at least a start. You could try tinting a small amount first and see what works. HTH.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:14am
post #3 of 15

I got that blue with royal blue and a little black to darken it's more of a navy blue. Almost the same.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 15

I do the same..royal blue and some black...works like a charm!
Edna icon_smile.gif

ginentonic Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 15

Do you find that the buttercream is really thin after you add all of the color? Should I just start with a thinker frosting in anticipation of the thinning? The cake will 3 rounds 14, 10, and 6 and I want to make sure the color is rich enough, and that it will be sturdy enough to get a good crust on it... I am using the wilton buttercream recipe...it has always done well for me in the past... any thoughts?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 15

Yes is best to start with a thicker consistency of icing, the color will soften it a bit. On the other hand, being a darker color, makes for easier coverage on the cake.

Another way to save some time is to do the crumbcoat in regular white icing and then do the color in your second coat. That will save you some time and save you having so much color on your cake.

Edna icon_smile.gif

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 15

You could also airbrush it using midnight blue luster dust mixed with alcohol. That way you can avoid everyone having blue teeth. icon_smile.gif I did a cake depicting a wolf howling at the moon and had the midnight sky as background.

linda2530 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linda2530 Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 15

I bought Navy Blue color and with a little tweaking you can get a night color.

ginentonic Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 15

Should I be really worried that it will color teeth? I have used blues before and not had it stain anyones mouth... Now you guys have me worried... What have I gotten myself into?!? :0P

dogwood Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 15

Anytime there's a dark color involved it usually shows up on tongue, lips & teeth temporarily. I don't think you need to worry about it though. It's one of those things that are just a fact of life sometimes people don't notice and sometimes they get a little giggle out of it.

And by the way when I said mix the luster dust with alcohol I really meant Vodka. icon_redface.gif We don't won't anybody using rubbing alcohol. icon_smile.gif

ginentonic Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:23am
post #11 of 15

Thanks for all of your help... my friend ended up not wanting a blue cake. So we went with white buttercream and silver and blue stars. I think it turned out pretty good.

dogwood Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:53pm
post #12 of 15

I looked in your gallery and saw your cake. Great job!!!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 15

I like in a small town where the school colors are a real dark blue and YES they do tend to stain peoples mouths and teeth. I buy that dark blue food coloring by the box. I allways reccomend taht people take photos prior to eating the cake. icon_eek.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:24pm
post #14 of 15

I live in a small town where the school colors are a real dark blue and YES they do tend to stain peoples mouths and teeth. I buy that dark blue food coloring by the box. I allways reccomend taht people take photos prior to eating the cake. icon_eek.gif

ginentonic Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:37am
post #15 of 15

Thank you Elaine... and thanks again to everyone else who had a suggestion. I am sure I will be on here later with another cake CRISIS icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%