Refrigerate Lemon Filling??

Baking By Alli_S Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 11:49pm by springlakecake

Alli_S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alli_S Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 4

I know there are a lot of threads about refrigerating fillings and have tried to read most of them but I am still unsure...

Does a fondant covered cake with lemon filling (specifically Wilton's, which is boiled) need to be refrigerated?

I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I wish there was a specific category here for non perishable filling recipes. I haven't had much luck with a general internet search.

Thanks in advance for any help!

3 replies
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:19am
post #2 of 4

I too wish I had a thread w/ non-perishable filling recipes. My general rule is if it has eggs or a lot of milk & not much sugar to help w/ shelf life then I say into the fridge

I know the sleeve fillings are shelf stable. www. fondant source.com has great prices--no spaces in that link. If they don't have them in stock you can email & they'll give you the internet price. I've been pleased w/ dealing w/ them. I've not used the lemon so not sure how it tastes. You can also check the pie fillings in the baking isle at your local grocery store.

Welcome to CC!

jenniferus2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferus2002 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 4

I just made a lemon cake last weekend and filled it with lemon curd with a little buttercream and it was out all day and was just fine. Mine was only covered in SMBC, so if you cover your in fondant i'm sure it will last as long or longer than mine. I know mine had eggs but lots of sugar so they say its fine to be left out for a while. Good luck and HTH.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 4

I leave the cake out. I also use the recipe from the wilton site for lemon (it's so good! I dont say that about a lot of wilton stuff) I put the leftovers in the fridge though

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%