I Need A New Electric Range

Lounge By mellormom Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm by mellormom

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 11

Any suggestions as to what kind? My Mom had a smooth top and hated it! It was wicked hard to clean when water over boiled. Is this a common experience with the smooth tops?
Sears has an induction cook top on sale for under $3000 which is very tempting! But then you need to get the magnetic pans as well.
Convection oven is a must of course and a window (that's right I don't have a window or a broiler or.....LOL)
Basically if it keeps the same temperature every time and has a window it is a step up. icon_smile.gif LOL
I'm willing to go up to $3000 for the range if needed. Mine is from 1965 and so if I can get one to even last half as long I'm in good shape. icon_smile.gif
I tried to get reviews of them on-line but I couldn't find any good sites that reviewed them.
Thanks a lot for any advice on this matter! icon_smile.gif
Jen...

10 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:14am
post #2 of 11

I have no idea which one I would get. Do lots of research.
I'm obsessed with kitchen cook wear. I think I'll be banned from Sears soon for drooling on the equipment. icon_lol.gif

mellormom Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 11

bumping myself! LOL Once I decide I want something I want it right now. LOL It takes me forever to get to this point though. icon_biggrin.gif
Jen...

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 11

One of these days we're going to gt around to remodeling our kitchen. Right now my first choice is gas stove top with electric oven (duel fuel). I've used electric and it's okay. When we moved into this house it has a smooth top and I HATE it. It is permanently stained and yes boiling water is the worst. The stove top stays hot afterwards and the only warning is a little light on the controls. I'm consantly afraid the kids will burn themselves. I've melted a couple of utensils and burned some towels because it's so easy to forget the burner is still hot. When I remember I try to out the pot back on the burner with water just so I won't touch it. But, I do know people that love their smooth tops.

I'm not very familiar with induction. I'd need to learn more about it. I wonder if staining is still a problem and how fast it cools off.

Oh another thing with a smooth top. Your pots and pans have to be flat on the bottom or they won't heat evenly. I had one set of pots that warped after a while. They got just the slighest curve to them and would no longer heat well. They would have been fine on a gas stove. I also can't use my wok anymore icon_sad.gif

mellormom Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 11

induction works only with a magnetic pan so as soon as you lift the pan off the burner it (the burner) is cool to the touch. It heats water in 90 seconds as well. The problem with them is they are expensive and you have to have special pans.
Thanks a lot for the info on the glass top! You just confirmed what I thought was the case.
Gatta love CC!
Jen...

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:22am
post #6 of 11

I have a Jen air stove top and love it because of the grilling. I can change out the units to glass top, grill, or coils. I use the glass for regular pans, coils for cast iron and grilling for grilling. I clean my glass top with a razor and it works great. I am looking into a double oven from Kitchen Aid with convection. I did not know there were different type of convection ovens. This one has a heating unit in the convection fan so it shoots out warm air, not just circulates it.

Keep searching reviews for help

mellormom Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:36am
post #7 of 11

thanks for the info. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

mellormom Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:53am
post #8 of 11

dldbrou
What was the name of your Jenn Air? I couldn't find it on the site.
Jen...

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 11

I have had it for quite a few years. It is a countertop model with interchangeable units. You just pull out one and slide it into a slot to change it with another one. There are two side units with a vent in the middle and the knobs are also in the middle in front of the vent. You have to be able to vent to an outside wall. I bought it a Sears many years ago. Someone had returned it because it was suppose to be scratched. When I bought it at a great price, I got it home and wiped it clean and the scratch turned out to be glue stuck on and wiped off easily. It is black. I wish I could find a model number, but when I looked, I could not find it. I will look to find the paperwork to see if it states what model.

mellormom Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 1:38pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks but no nead to search for the model number I can't have a counter top one I need the ranges which are stoves and ovens in one. I've never heard of your stove. Sounds very cool!
Jen...

mellormom Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #11 of 11

I ended up going with a GE profile double oven range. It's a smooth top but I'll have to make do. icon_smile.gif I'm so happy that I can finally get rid of my old clunker!!! thumbs_up.gif
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%