Strawberry Buttercreme

Decorating By nanatrucker Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 10:15pm by Carolynlovescake

nanatrucker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanatrucker Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:08am
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone, I need to know if I make a strawberry Buttercreme can I still put color in it? And can I just add strawberry extract to the regular buttercreme to give it a strawberry taste? TIA icon_confused.gif

8 replies
chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:47am
post #2 of 9

You can, but I can go one better and kill 2 birds with one stone...
I bought some frozen strawberries and pureed about 1/4 cup and added it to a buttercream recipe (actually it was a cream cheese recipe). It was a wonderful flavor and colored pink at the same time... it was quite yummy!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:04am
post #3 of 9

Strawberry puree is the only way I have ever done this but I am imagining you can do it the way you mentioned but why add the extra coloring if you don't need too? Trust me, the puree is wonderful!!

nanatrucker Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 1:54pm
post #4 of 9

I need the buttercreme to be green and brown or black not pink.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 9

I'm guessing you are trying to make strawberry flavored buttercream in colors other than pink for decorating?

You can color strawberry buttercream, but unless you use a colorless extract like Ateco's, you will be limited on the colors you can make. Even McCormick's extract will tint the icing pink, so you won't be able to get a pure color if you are tying to color the icing yellow, blue, or green.

I've not tried using the Lorann Strawberry oil flavoring to see if that produces a pink tint. I know the oil is tinted red but you need only a few drops so it might not tint the buttercream an obvious pink (making it easier to color) and still give a strong flavor.

EDIT: Ah! You replied while I was typing my response! icon_lol.gif

Definitely look for Ateco extract or Lorann flavoring then. You will have no problem coloring the icing brown or black, but green will be really hard to do if your icing is pink to start.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 9

I use lorann oils and you use such a small amount because the oils are so concentrated, you should not have a problem at all! Good luck and thanks for the clarity on what you were trying to accomplish! HTH icon_biggrin.gif

nanatrucker Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks I will try those and see how it turns out. icon_biggrin.gif

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 9

Yes I use the Lorann strawberry and it works great- I colored it blue and it was a perfect blue with no tinge of redness.Good Luck!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 9

I don't use strawberry's because we have seed issues in this house.

My son hate anything with a seed in it except for fresh strawberries. I can't eat seeds for medical reasons. Strawberry and poppy seeds are the worst for me.

I use flavoring but I use Capella flavor drops instead of Lorann's.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%