Hi-Raito Shortening....

Decorating By shelly-101 Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 10:12pm by sugarcheryl

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 13

I have heard alot about hi-ratio shortening and i know that sugar shacks recipe calls for it but it is not avaible to me..so my question is how many grams of trans fats does it have in it? there is a little local store that sells an off brand of shortening that does have transfats but it does not say that it is hi raito. will it still work for sugarshacks recipe?
Thanks in advance icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
artsywest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsywest Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 13

I have wondered the same thing. If you ask the guy at the store, he will look at you strange and point you to the Crisco. What does hi ratio mean, and where in blazes do you get it?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 13

I can't buy the hi ratio stuff locally either, so I buy it online. It's a little more expensive, but the icing comes out so much smoother.

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 13

I got mine at K&B Cake and Candy supplies store in PA. I think I prefer Crisco, though, because I can't tell that it makes any difference. Just my opinion. icon_smile.gif

ezbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ezbakin Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 13

I purhcase mine at a local cake decorating store. I know the name on the packaging is Alpine. I think that it goes for everyone that it takes time to find what works for you when it comes to you BC icing. The "shortening" I use can be used all by its self (directions on the package) which is great in the summer with heat and humidity or I use it in place of Crisco when I use it with butter. I agree with someone elses post that its so much smoother than Crisco and I think it tastes better and does not leave that texture in your mouth like crisco. Hope this helps........... thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:06am
post #6 of 13

hi ratio has added emulsifiers to make a better end product, but you can use any store shortening with my recipe that has trans fats listed on the nutritional label

HTH

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:26am
post #7 of 13

The store brand shortenings that I can get here in Alberta all have a funny taste to them. I've never made Sugarshacks exact recipe yet, I've been waiting to order the DVD's which I will be soon!! Yay!!!!

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:31am
post #8 of 13

I ordered my Sweetex from Globalsugarart.com I was getting Satin Ice fondant anyway, so thought I'd combine the shipping. Love the end result of my icing. Way different than crisco.

shelly-101 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 5:40am
post #9 of 13

Thank you everyone maybe i will just stop being cheap and order some....lol,

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 13

If you have a restaurant supply in your town you may be able to get it there. You might also try the bakery department of your grocery store and see if they will sell it to you.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 13

i get sweetex and a delicious raspberry filling from thechefwarehouse.com. the name of the raspbery filling i patisse

shelly-101 Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks tiggy....I don't really make cakes all that often so i just have a hard time spending the money, esp. for shipping when sometimes the shipping costs more than the product. But i just really want to see if there is a big differance between hi-ratio and crisco.

shelly

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:12pm
post #13 of 13

It makes a different I made some today to try it out it doesn't dry out like crisco and I just use the wilton recipe since it was for practice and use it on cake dummies. I can't wait to make sugarshack recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%