Attn: Texas Bakers! Cottage Food Law Needs Your Support!

Decorating By lanibird Updated 11 Mar 2009 , 3:37pm by kelleym

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 1:16am
post #1 of 22

Hello everyone!

For those of you who do not venture into the Business Forum, and/or are unaware, there is a movement trying to get Cottage Food Laws passed here in Texas.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6281747#6281747

The thread is over 20 pages, so here is a quick summary:

In Texas, it is illegal to sell cakes from your home kitchen.

kelleym was able to meet with Representative Gattis about trying to change that.

He recently informed her that he had requested lawyers to write up two different drafts of Cottage Food Law legislation. However, this did not guarantee the bill would be filed in hopes of becoming a law. He informed kelleym that the deadline for filing legislation was March 31.

Yesterday (Friday March 6) he informed kelleym he made a mistake, and that the deadline is actually Friday, March 13.

If we are unable to convince Gattis, or any other representative, to file this legislation, we will have to wait TWO years before we can try again!

What can you do? Visit this link, http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/ , find out who your representative is, call them, and urge them to either support Gattis or to file the legislation themselves. Get all your friends and family who are Texas residents to do the same.

kelleym has also set up a website, http://texascottagefoodlaw.com/default.htm with a link to an online petition.

We can do this! thumbs_up.gif

21 replies
Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 22

I've signed the petition, we really need to keep this thread alive to give all Texas bakers a chance to get their signature posted before the deadline! Thanks for bringing this to our attention lanibird

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:09am
post #3 of 22

Thanks everyone! The planning meeting today went great! The plan for this week is as follows:

On Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday everybody (yes, you! everybody!)needs to call their state senator and representative and educate them about the issue, tell them that the legislation is drafted and in Representative Gattis office, and ask them to either introduce or co-sponsor it. If you are in the Austin area, try to get a meeting with the legislator or their staff. If you want me to come with you, I will make every effort (fair warning: I may have a baby with me!).

The time for writing letters and signing the petition has passed. We have only 5 days to go, we need to get these peoples attention.

If the bill is not filed by Wednesday, then we are going to get as big a group together as we can, and, wearing matching cake show shirts, go down to the Capitol and go from office to office, giving cupcakes and making as many legislators as possible aware of this issue. This will definitely be a last ditch attempt, but we can invite the media and make some noise.

Find out who your state senator and representative are,and start calling tomorrow! Call every day until Friday! We do NOT want to have to wait until 2011 to try again.

The bad economy is in our favor. We need to get this done now.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:30am
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

If the bill is not filed by Wednesday, then we are going to get as big a group together as we can, and, wearing matching cake show shirts, go down to the Capitol and go from office to office, giving cupcakes and making as many legislators as possible aware of this issue.

I can see the headline now: Cake Ladies March on State Capital!

Awesome idea!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:53am
post #5 of 22

Oh count me in for Weds - if you end up having to do that! When will you decide? I'll need time to bake and find a sitter...

I'm going to call a friend tomorrow and see if he knows any of the reps...he's one of our ex-mayors so he should know someone!

kelleym Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:56am
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amia

Oh count me in for Weds - if you end up having to do that! When will you decide? I'll need time to bake and find a sitter...

I'm going to call a friend tomorrow and see if he knows any of the reps...he's one of our ex-mayors so he should know someone!

Sorry, I need to be more clear: We will wait until Wednesday, close of business, to make the decision. Then we 'March on the Capitol' on Thursday. Email me at [email protected] if you would like to be on the email list for this group!!! (We need a sizeable group to make an impact!)

Hopefully we won't need to march - it would be so great if Gattis (or someone else) files the legislation by Wednesday so it doesn't come down to the last minute.

Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 22

I'm praying for this bill to pass or for the cottage food law to become a reality!

kelleym Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onome

I'm praying for this bill to pass or for the cottage food law to become a reality!

I hope you're calling as well as praying. icon_wink.gif

Stephanie in Senator Ogden's office has politely requested that other Senators' constituents stop calling them. So please go to the link above and call your OWN senator and representative. Make them aware that Stephanie in Sen. Ogden's office has more information, and that Patrick in Rep. Gattis' office is the contact person for the draft legislation.

4 days and counting...

kelleym Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 22

I just got off the phone with Patrick in Representative Gattis's office.

1. I asked if there was anything more I could do to help get this filed. He said no.

2. He said he will be meeting with Rep. Gattis in the "next couple of days" and a decision will be made. He promises I will be his first call when it is made.

3. He says that other Representatives' offices have been calling them for more information! He said "it looks like you might have some legislative support out there".

Signs of legislative support may be what tips this thing in our favor. The single most important thing you can do now is call your state Representative, make them aware of the issue, and how important it is to you, and ask (beg, plead, bribe) them to call Patrick in Rep. Gattis office for more information. (512) 463-0309.[/list]

kelleym Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:33pm
post #10 of 22

Double post. icon_razz.gif

kelleym Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:34pm
post #11 of 22

Triple post. icon_mad.gif

kelleym Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 10:42pm
post #12 of 22

Crazy quadruple post. icon_confused.gif

lanibird Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 11:51pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:

3. He says that other Representatives' offices have been calling them for more information! He said "it looks like you might have some legislative support out there".

That's a hopeful bit of awsomeness right there. Glad to know our calls are not just being brushed aside.

Gonna have to do another round of emails and faxes tonight, and more calling tomorrow!

thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 12:17am
post #14 of 22

I have to say this is exciting to watch this unfold .... true American democracy and pure grassroots politics ('pure' politics .... not the stuff we usually see! hahahaha!) in action. You guys should be applauded just for getting it this far! I'm glued to this, watching for updates.

kelleym Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:04pm
post #15 of 22

Representative Gattis has signed the legislation, and the bill will be filed with the clerk's office tomorrow, 3/11.

I will be starting a new thread here in the General section soon with details.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:18pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:

Representative Gattis has signed the legislation, and the bill will be filed with the clerk's office tomorrow, 3/11.

I will be starting a new thread here in the General section soon with details.

This i great! It looks like there might be a chance. Thanks for all your work - everyone!

Michele

lanibird Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm
post #17 of 22

That calls for some dancing!

Kelley, you are my Image hero!

I got quite a few responses from those who I've PM'd - Thank You all so much for contacting your reps! thumbs_up.gif

blueskyent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueskyent Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 11:43pm
post #18 of 22

Good luck ladies, hope it all works out for you. You're right, in times like these it seems like all entrpreneurial spirits should be given the chance to spread their wings and do whatever they can to support themselves and their families. Wish they'd let us bake in Michigan! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:55am
post #19 of 22

At this point should we still be calling those same representatives or do we just wait and see?
Or is there something else we should be doing?
That would be incredible if this happens!!

kelleym Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 2:52am
post #20 of 22

I will post more tomorrow after we have a bill # and I talk to Patrick more.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 12:03pm
post #21 of 22

icon_redface.gif I just now checked my email! Thanks to lanibird for the pm. I can't wait to see what happens and am a willing soldier in your army icon_biggrin.gif I'd LOVE to be able to sell cake from my home. Here's hoping; You guys are awesome thumbs_up.gif

kelleym Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 3:37pm
post #22 of 22

I've started a new thread specifically for discussion and strategery about our bill!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-622123.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%