Call Me Dumb! Question About Fondant

Decorating By Newatdecorating Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 4:20am by dennettesdelectables

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 21

I've been seeing all the things cut out of fondant and pieced back together to make a picture of a particular character. Even numbers or letters cut out of thin fondant and standing on top of a cake.

My question is how do you cut them out and they not loose their shape? I haven't worked with fondant. I used RBC on cookies and know you can't cut a shape out of it, using a knife.

I hope you understand what I am asking!

20 replies
misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 21

I am not sure what you are asking? I am a little slow on this beautiful Saturday morning...if you could clarify I will do my best to supply my 2 cents!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 21

You cut out the fondant/gumpaste and let it dry.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 21

Are you talking about the patchwork cutters maybe? If you've seen particular things standing on top of cake, that could be gum paste. Is there a picture you could attach? I'm pretty new to everything cakes, especiallly fondant myself!

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 21

I don't know if I understood your question...
When I want to cut fondant I use scissors and cutters. I let a little rolled piece of fondant dry for a few minutes and then I cut it.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 21

no dumb questions ok...always remember that the only dumb question is the question not asked. LOL

fondant has the consistacy of playdough so once you roll the fondant out and use a cookie cutter or a pattern (laid on top and cut around) you have a shape.........depending on the thickness of the how you rolled out the fondant you can gently lift and place the pieces onto the cake. OR if you want to have numbers or letters standing you adhere a stick to the back and let it dry.........the Girls Rule cake in my photos can be looked at as an example.....I put the little girls,make-up, cell phone etc. on before the pieces dried but I let the letters to "girls rule" dry (w/ the sticks in the back) before placing in the cake. If you need more help you can pm me.

(most people mix fondant/gumpaste 50/50)........I don't always do that

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 21

Hi Newatdecorating - i hope i have got the gist of what you are asking.

I will explain how i do it.

Roll out your Fondant/Choc Art/Regalice to the thickness you want.
Then with your cookie cutter/shape or what ever you are using - cut out what you want.
I then let them sit for a few minutes so as to firm up a little bit.
Then with a very thin spatular knife i gently life and apply to whatever it is i am decorating -

Hope i am not too tired and have answered your question accordingly or at least helpedd.

misserica ....very early Sunday Monring here - and sometimes my trrain of thought goes <------------ that way when tired - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

misserica Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 21

Newatdecorating, I agree with what the others have said, depending on what you are trying to get, say #'s for instance, either use a cookie cutter or trace the number onto wax paper and then roll your fondant out, then I cut with an exacto knife or really sharp kitchen knife. I let mine dry a bit before securing them to anything that holds them up (the 25 on my surprise birthday cake in my photos)...I am sort of new to this too so if you have questions I will do my best to help, I am usually asking too! And just like Nickymom said, no dumb questions, I ask a lot here and everyone is beyond helpful, I love CC for all of the people on it.

Bluehue...its been really cold and gross here, last Sunday we had 11 inches of snow, yuck! But today is amazing, its 63 degrees out already and its not even noon. And it Saturday morning and I went out with my girlfriends for cocktails last night, I am a little slow in the advice department today.

Bluehue Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by misserica

Newatdecorating, I agree with what the others have said, depending on what you are trying to get, say #'s for instance, either use a cookie cutter or trace the number onto wax paper and then roll your fondant out, then I cut with an exacto knife or really sharp kitchen knife. I let mine dry a bit before securing them to anything that holds them up (the 25 on my surprise birthday cake in my photos)...I am sort of new to this too so if you have questions I will do my best to help, I am usually asking too! And just like Nickymom said, no dumb questions, Thats how we all learn more and more - by reading all the questions and answers - it wonderfull and i am constanently amazed at all the new and different things i see on threads. I ask a lot here and everyone is beyond helpful, I love CC for all of the people on it.

Bluehue...its been really cold and gross here, last Sunday we had 11 inches of snow, yuck! But today is amazing, its 63 degrees out already and its not even noon. And it Saturday morning and I went out with my girlfriends for cocktails last night, I am a little slow in the advice department today.
Early Autunm here - still very hot days - but slightly cooler nights - yayyyyy.
Top tomorrow of 37C = 104F.
Might suggest we *go do lunch* somewhere nice, cool and relaxing instead of doing the ironing - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Love the sound of *clinking* glasses icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif *hic* *cheers* icon_biggrin.gif

Bh

misserica Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:41pm
post #10 of 21

Sorry Newatdecorating I highjacked your thread...seriously though, ask away, PM me if you want. I started decorating out of nowhere and when I found CC I was in heaven. I learned a ton from this site.

Bluehue...can I come visit!? 104 degrees! Holy cow I am jealous. I do not like winter and we get it here in New Jersey. I am dying to visit Australia! I would love that kind of warmth, my bones are chilly from this yucky stuff we have going on here.

And the clinking of martini glasses is one of the best sounds in the world, second only to the sound of the oven alarm beeping to say there is a fresh baked cake inside, lol!

Bluehue Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 21

And i apologise also -
icon_redface.gif
I do hope from all the responses you feel very welcome and that we have all helped you....Just keep asking ............ i do - icon_lol.gif
Bh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misserica

Sorry Newatdecorating I highjacked your thread...seriously though, ask away, PM me if you want. I started decorating out of nowhere and when I found CC I was in heaven. I learned a ton from this site.

Bluehue...can I come visit!? 104 degrees! Holy cow I am jealous. I do not like winter and we get it here in New Jersey. I am dying to visit Australia! I would love that kind of warmth, my bones are chilly from this yucky stuff we have going on here.
Indeed - front door always open - lol.
Well ....except when the air con is on - lol lol.

And the clinking of martini glasses is one of the best sounds in the world, second only to the sound of the oven alarm beeping to say there is a fresh baked cake inside, lol!

LOL LOL i am a Gin & Tonic Lady myself - but if martinis are being served - then lets clink to that - lol lol

Newatdecorating Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #12 of 21

Misserica & Bluehue - Think nothing of it!

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. I should have put in my description about assembling it like a jigsaw puzzle, but I didn't think about it. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=744263

Here is another one with a number: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1322680

Do you have to mix anything in with the fondant to be able to do the first one? If you use a knife to cut it, what keeps it from stretching and loosing it's shape?

And to do the second, could you mix fondant with gum-tex?

misserica Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:10pm
post #13 of 21

New....I am going to give this a go since I had two cups of coffee, I should be able to function now, lol.
I can not say how to do the Minnie but the numbers are pretty easy. I pick the shape of the # I want to use, for example I had # stickers and traced the 2 and the 5 out onto wax paper. I rolled my fondant (actually 50/50 fondant and gumpaste) and then with a toothpick went around the edges of the 2 and 5 I had traced on the wax paper (I mean I put the wax paper on top of my rolled out fondant and traced with toothpick holes the shape of the numbers)...then pulled the wax paper off and cut out the 2 and 5 with my knife, I tried once to pull them right off but they stretched so I did it again and let them sit for a few to stiffen up a bit.
As far as keeping the shape, my cut outs are never perfect but I think I rushed them a little, if they sit for a few minutes, not too long or they will crack (ask me how I know) they are a little more sturdy. But there are others who could tell you much better than I how to get perfect edges and not lose shape.
After I pulled them off my rolling mat I placed them on another sheet of wax paper to dry, I left mine out for a week. (covered lightly with plastic wrap to keep off dust) Oh, I stuck a toothpick in the back of the 2 and 5 before I left them to dry so that when I delivered the cake I could insert the toothpicks into the cake and they stood up.
HTH...what makes sense to me typing might sound like another language to you. Let me know if I need to clarify.

Bluehue Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 5:17pm
post #14 of 21

icon_redface.gif arghhhh - so sorry - i get what you mean now -
Thankyou for posting the links -

Right - for the first one what you can do is...)Well what i have done in the past)

Trace the picture you want.
Then roll your Fondant out to desired thickness (1/8 - 1/4" thick)
Place the picture over the piece of rolled Fondant - (lets say the eye)
Then with a blunt knife i go over the drawing - as this leaves the outline in the Fondant.
Then - lift tracing paper away.
You can see the outline....on the fondant.
With a small sharp knife - go over the indent - slowly to get a good clean cut.
Leave Fondant on the bench for a while (few minutes) to firm.
Then when all pieces are dope like above - you can transfere onto cake... using a think spatular knife.

You can attatche jig saw pieces to cake using clear alcohol - sugar syrp - small dab of RI -

I hope i have explained my self clearly for you

Can i ask - what are you thinking of doing using this method - hope we get to see a picture. icon_smile.gif

The number 5 looks like it is cut from one single piece to me - using a large number cutter.
Then it has little bits attached to it.
Doesn't look jigsaw to me -
Perhaps i am missing something in the second pic...... icon_redface.gif
Perhaps i am just tired - lol

Bh.

Newatdecorating Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:47pm
post #15 of 21

Thank you all! You have been very helpful!

In a few weeks, I plan on doing my daughter's birthday cake. Haven't exactly decided on all the details, but do know I want to do something with fondant daisies and maybe a her initial or age on the top.

I've been curious about the fondant characters for awhile now.

I haven't worked with fondant much at all. Something about it seems to intimidate me. As a matter of fact, I haven't done many cakes at all. Needless to say, I have a lot to learn!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:54pm
post #16 of 21

Dont be intimidated by fondant..is only sugar!!. But know some things are best done in gumpaste..
Edna icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 8:10pm
post #17 of 21

i find me a picture... make me a pattern out of mylar using hot pen... cut out each section with hot pen.. then i have the pattern of each section to lay on whatever color fondant i need.. roll out on powder sugar or cornstarch.. so the peices dry faster.. let fan blow on them.. when dry.. ready to put together like a puzzel... either right on cake.. or on cake board ..let dry and transfer to cake with a large cookie spatula..

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i find me a picture... make me a pattern out of mylar using hot pen... cut out each section with hot pen.. then i have the pattern of each section to lay on whatever color fondant i need.. roll out on powder sugar or cornstarch.. so the peices dry faster.. let fan blow on them.. when dry.. ready to put together like a puzzel... either right on cake.. or on cake board ..let dry and transfer to cake with a large cookie spatula..

Yep that is a very good way to do the Mickey Face like you posted newatdecorating

Bluehue Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 3:30am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newatdecorating

Thank you all! You have been very helpful!

In a few weeks, I plan on doing my daughter's birthday cake. Haven't exactly decided on all the details, but do know I want to do something with fondant daisies and maybe a her initial or age on the top.
I look forward to seeing your creation Newtodecorating... icon_smile.gif
I've been curious about the fondant characters for awhile now.

I haven't worked with fondant much at all. Something about it seems to intimidate me. I was like that about using BC icon_redface.gif for the first time to cover a cake - Wondering, [i]will it be smooth enough and will i be able to obtain sharp edges.[/i] As a matter of fact, I haven't done many cakes at all. Needless to say, I have a lot to learn!. You couldn't be at a better place or forum.
And no matter the time of day or night - there is always someone here to help....better go start the ironing - would rather be doing something cake - icon_lol.gif
Speak soon Newatdecorating...
Bh.

dennettesdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennettesdelectables Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:18am
post #20 of 21

newatdecorating....

the fondant intimidated me also, but truthfully i prefer it over buttercream, its just so much more fun to me...the first cake i did, i didn't plan anything elaborate just b/c i didn't want to fail, but the minute i covered that first cake, i realized i underestimated myself..i have only done 4 cakes w/ fondant so far, but have already got a booking, check out my pictures and you'll see the confidence progression, don't let it intimidate you...just have fun w/ it..It's just like playdough except its edible..I am finding reasons to make cakes..although right now w/ buying my first home, I am watching my money but hey, it keeps me out of my husbands hair so he has no complaints there....good luck

dennettesdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dennettesdelectables Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 4:20am
post #21 of 21

also, if you are a good self learner, go to hobby lobby or michaels and buy the wilton course books, that's how I have learned how to do alot..and online, and ofcourse the people here at CC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%