Bumpy Fondant...even On The Food Network

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 7 Mar 2009 , 7:02am by cathyscakes

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 5

I have never completely covered a cake in fondant. I have added many embelishments, but not a whole cake. My question is how can I expect to do a nice job, when I notice some of the professionals on the food network challenges who get paid lots of money, have issues with their fondant. It looks all bumpy, maybe they are just rushing, but sometimes I don't think it looks that great.
Where I live people just don't want fondant, so I have never had to do it. A new cake I will be doing is in fondant, i'm a little scared to commit to it, and then have it not turn out. I was wondering if I should carve down the sides of the cake, have it completely straight. One person will say, put a thick layer of buttercream, then another will say a thin layer, I get so comfused. Do you use a crusting buttercream or does it matter, do you put the fondant on a cold cake, like some say, or not. I have watched alot of video's on the subject, they are all different, I was just wondering what a tried and true method is. thanks

4 replies
Bren1423 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bren1423 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 5

I recomend to you to use a thick of bc, before you cover with fondant, but for me i prefered to use MMF after use a thick of bc. Go to Youtube.com and in Search write cover with fondant the have videos Good luck.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 5

Well, if you're watching the challenges, then for sure you're gonna find some bumpy fondant, because it IS a rush! I would say that there's no one "right" way to do it, it's just what works for you...and perhaps your climate... Trial and error, baby...

Though some people might be more helpful than me! Personally, I use a good buttercream dam to hold my filling in, then a thin coat of crusting buttercream just to smooth out the surface. Then 1/4 inch or less thickness of fondant, smoothed with a fondant smoother. I'm still perfecting it, but my recent fondant cakes have been looking rather nice!

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 5

I found that trimming the entire perimeter of a cake - so that you CANNOT see any bumps from the different stacked layers - and then using just enough buttercream to make the fondant adhere gives me the best results. If I use too much buttercream I always have some of it squishing out the bottom as I smooth the fondant, and my edges don't seem as crisp. But we all come up with what works for each of us! I was watching Ace of Cakes last night and was astounded at how sloppy the fondant work was on a hockey rink cake. Even the big-pros have bad-cake-days icon_smile.gif...but try telling that to the guy who just slapped down at least $1000 for it!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 7 Mar 2009 , 7:02am
post #5 of 5

I know I am amazed at how bumpy their fondant is, so i'm thinking how could I possibly do a good job, but thanks everyone for your replies, I will sure give it a try, and practice till I get it right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%