3D Egg Cracked In Half Cake? Help!

Decorating By gd23 Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 3:18am by Ursula40

gd23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gd23 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,

i was wondering if someone could help me...i need to make a 3d egg shaped cake cracked in half (1/2 standing up straight and 1/2 on its side) The part thats standing up straight needs to have a baby coming out of the top...

i was wondering:

a) how do i cover each half with the fondant
b) how do i get them to stand/sit the way i want them without collapsing? should i use straws? how would i insert them?

3 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 2:49am
post #2 of 4

The easiest way would be to bake half a Wilton ball pan for the standing half, then bake a whole easter egg, but only use the top (slimmer part) lying on it's side. You cant use the bottom part, as that pan is in 2 halves that rest on top of each other when being decorated. When you cover the half ball, do it on it's head. Put a piece of cardboard on the flat half and turn it around and place on a vase or such, make sure, that you can cover with fondant and trim zigzag, leaving enough fondant, so that it hangs under the cake. Leave upside down until the edges are firmed up, before inverting onto final position. Then place baby inside.

ummh, does that make sense?

gd23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gd23 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:06am
post #3 of 4

kind of, would i need to use support dowel?

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:18am
post #4 of 4

I'd definately skewer the top half of the egg but tell the truth, I'd make a base cake, so that I can skewer in the bottom half of the egg into the base cake. that way you can make sure, that it doesn't move. I've had cakes going over to Pudong side, not doweled but skewered into the base and till now(touch wood) nothing happened. Loads of soccer fans living on that side of town

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%