Need Help Now!! Fondant Tearing

Decorating By mclaren Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 6:55am by mclaren

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:54am
post #1 of 7

i'm using michele foster's fondant to begin with.

i'm trying to cover a doll cake with fondant. so i roll out the fondant about 1/4" thick.

as i was lifting it up from the surface, it was tearing in my hands. it did not stick to the surface, so that wasn't the reasong it tore.
as soon as i have one side on my hand, it was already tearing!

what did i do wrong? do i need to add more PS to it? or more glycerine? (hv added them to see it that works, still having probs). or what??

how do i lift the fondant that big, from the surface without tearing it?

this is my first time working with fondant to COVER a cake, i've only done accents before this. so i'm a newbie here..

i need to finish this cake by today (now it's 1pm here in asia).

6 replies
TrinaH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrinaH Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:38am
post #2 of 7

I would say that it sounds like it's too soft ... and would add even more PS but I am really not an expert

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:47am
post #3 of 7

I never lift fondant with my hands..... anymore that is! I lay my rolling pin across the center of the piece I roll out and then fold the fondant back over my rolling pin. I then lift the fondant with the rolling pin. I use to lift with my hands which was impossible not to get tears on the larger pieces.... it's not a problem anymore when lifting with my rolling pin.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:56am
post #4 of 7

you can also lightly grease a plastic mat... roll out fondant.... lift mat with fondant.. gently lay over cake.. gently pull off mat.. this works good for lots of people.. jennifer dontz.. rolls out on powder sugar or cornstarch... lifts with her hands and arms...palm side up... i was taught that way 13 years ago.. i do different ways at different times..

mclaren Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:57am
post #5 of 7

thanks for the advices.

i've added more than two handfuls of PS already, it still tears. added drops of water, still tears.
added shortening, still tears.

dellboi2u, i tried lifting the thing with my rolling pin, it tore on my pin as i was lifting it! that was when i tried to change my method & lift with my hands, -- no luck either.

oh dear.. i'm so desperate now.

i've tried powdering my surface with cornstarch, didn' work, so used PS, didn't work.. used shortening, the same tearing is still happening!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:09am
post #6 of 7

It's too soft. (I only use commercial fondant.) Try kneading in a wee bit of cornstarch.

mclaren Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:55am
post #7 of 7

leahs, i tried your tips.. still not workking, still tearing!

i am crying....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%