Pyramid Cake??

Decorating By AngelWendy Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 5:30pm by cylstrial

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 7

I told my husband I wanted to get back into cake decorating again and his birthday is coming in two weeks, so I asked him what shape of cake he wanted or if he wanted to give me a decorating challenge. He said he'd like a pyramid cake - Pyramids of Giza. Well, I have neither square pans other than 8X8 and 9X9 (to do a stacked cake - freeze and sculpt), and I do not have a pyramid pan. What would you do? What is the least expensive option? I am pretty sure he wants me to do this challenge without buying more equipment, but I may have to get a pyramid shaped pan to do it or a couple more square ones - smaller ones anyhow. I do have several sizes of rounds, but that seems like it would be more difficult, right? I'd also like to do the Sphinx to go with a large pyramid, I think. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!!

6 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 7

Wow! thats a hard one! you could use 2 - 9's, 2 -8's, and a loaf pan 1/2ed and stacked - fill freeze and carve.

That is my only suggestion..... good luck!!

let me know what you do!

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 7

Well, do you perhaps have half sheet pan? For pyramid cake you need only this - see attached picture. You bake it less then 2" high (you need to count the filling in), and cut to dimensions.
This is the easier way how to bake it.
LL

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 6:49am
post #4 of 7

I can't remember where I got these directions. icon_smile.gif I've had them quite a while...hope they help. I don't know if a regular copy and paste will work here, but will try...

Desert-Oasis Cake

Prep and decorating time: 1 hour
Bake time: 35 to 45 minutes
Yield: 12 servings

·1 box (18.25 oz.) yellow-cake mix 12"x18" cake board
·2 cans (16 oz. each) vanilla frosting
·Brown, yellow, and white edible glitters (each in .25 oz. container)
·2 cups ground vanilla wafers
·Plastic palm trees
·Dots candy
·Gold candles

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease two 8"x8" square baking pans. Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using pound-cake variation (add instant pudding and an extra egg). Pour into pans and spread evenly; bake 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack, and cool 15 minutes. Invert cakes onto rack and cool completely.

2. To decorate: Place a cake layer on sheet of waxed paper, and frost with ½ cup frosting. Place second cake layer on top, centered. With a large serrated knife, score top of second layer 1¾" from edge to form a square. Position cake flush to counter edge. Cut off wedge-shaped edges, using score marks on top and counter edge as guides.

Repeat on remaining 3 sides. (You should have a flat-topped, slope-sided shape).

Take 2 cut wedge shapes, and sandwich the flat, uncut sides together with frosting. Place on top of cake, centered. With serrated knife, cut 2 unsloped sides off the top piece to form a pyramid. (If desired, cut remaining pieces into a triangle and sandwich together for a smaller pyramid cake).

3. Transfer pyramids to cake board. Frost both pyramids with vanilla frosting. Using the dull side of a knife, score cakes to make block pattern and doorway for pyramid. In a small bowl, combine brown, yellow, and white sparkles. Using your fingertips, grind sparkles into fine powder. Place sparkles, a little at a time, on a spoon. Gently blow sparkles onto sides of cake to cover frosting. (Be careful not to inhale). Place ground wafers around pyramids for sand. Use Dot candies to secure palm trees and candles to board, and cover with wafer crumbs.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 7

I do not know where you are located but in our town we have a place called the cake pan where you can rent cake pans of ANY size shape character etc. Check and see if there is someplace like that inyour community.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 7
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 7

What a cute idea! Don't forget to take a pic!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%