Cheesecake Help

Decorating By torysgirl87 Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 6:51pm by KoryAK

torysgirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torysgirl87 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 12

I've made cheesecakes before, but never decorated. My father and I are throwing a surprise retirement party for my mom in November and I want to serve cheesecake b/c its her favorite.

I want to serve slices, restaurant style, not wedding svgs. I've read on here that a 10 inch cake should give me 16 nice sized svgs. I want to do a lady windermere design b/c the party will be for about 100 with 4-10 in cheesecakes (64 svgs) on bottom, then a 6 x 8 x 10 (4 + 12 + 16 svgs) cake stacked tall tier style and wrapped in chocolate with the tops filled with truffles. Will I be overdoing it w/ lots of waste?

Also, can you double or triple a recipe for cheesecake and pour it in the various pans, or is it best to try and give it a go one cheesecake at a time? I'm not sure how the oven will affect the cooking w/ more than one at a time inside, what will happen to extra ingredients, etc...

TIA!

11 replies
yangers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yangers Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 12

I hope someone can help, because I'd like to know also. I am able to get 16 slices out of a 10-inch cheesecake easily. Someone please help us.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 12

How long will the cheesecake be out for? For I do not like room temp. cheesecake.

Do you bake you cheesecake in a water bath? Keeps cheesecake smooth and helps prevent cracks on top of cheesecake.

I have seen a few stacked cheesecake but I also heard they are a big pain in the a**.

I am sure someone else will chime in.

So can do a search on water bath for cheesecake if you are not familiar with.

Good luck

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 12

Yes you can expand the recipe as much as you need to. I do it all the time and bake the various sizes in the oven all at once and just make sure to check them often and pull each when needed. You do need to make sure air can circulate around each pan however, don't pack the oven too tightly. You can stack multiple cheesecakes together and ice as one too.

torysgirl87 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:43am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Yes you can expand the recipe as much as you need to. I do it all the time and bake the various sizes in the oven all at once and just make sure to check them often and pull each when needed. You do need to make sure air can circulate around each pan however, don't pack the oven too tightly. You can stack multiple cheesecakes together and ice as one too.

Do you use 3" deep pans or put two 2" deep cheesecakes together? Is there crust in the middle when you do this?

[quote="justsweet"]How long will the cheesecake be out for? For I do not like room temp. cheesecake.

Do you bake you cheesecake in a water bath? Keeps cheesecake smooth and helps prevent cracks on top of cheesecake.

I have seen a few stacked cheesecake but I also heard they are a big pain in the a**.[ /quote]

The cheesecake will be refrigerated throughout the event. Even if I was going to do cake, it wouldn't sit out like at a wedding. The caterer will serve dinner buffet style, clean up the buffet while there is entertainment and then set out the dessert.

I do use a water bath although I don't have much experience w/ cheesecakes. I am going to start practicing soon so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible.

Thanks for the replies.

KoryAK Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:56am
post #6 of 12

I bake 2" max and stack them. I usually bake one with crust for the bottom and one without for the top. If the client really likes crust, I'll do it for both layers so there is some in the middle too. SMBC is good for between the layers.

torysgirl87 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:04am
post #7 of 12
Quote:

I bake 2" max and stack them. I usually bake one with crust for the bottom and one without for the top. If the client really likes crust, I'll do it for both layers so there is some in the middle too. SMBC is good for between the layers.

Thanks. With a large cheesecake, is there is need for a core when using the bath? I've only ever done a 9". Also, what if I didn't want to put anything in between? Would it stay? Any other suggestions besides icing?

KoryAK Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:23am
post #8 of 12

no core, just lower the oven temp. you can cook a cheesecake at 150 almost if you let it go long enough icon_smile.gif

you can always will with a jam or curd, but icing will be the strongest. other things are gonna wanna slide around.

torysgirl87 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:26am
post #9 of 12
Quote:

no core, just lower the oven temp. you can cook a cheesecake at 150 almost if you let it go long enough icon_smile.gif

you can always will with a jam or curd, but icing will be the strongest. other things are gonna wanna slide around.

Thanks! I've never tried the SMBC. I have to keep reminding myself what the letters stand for! icon_biggrin.gif More to practice. Thanks again!

KoryAK Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 3:59am
post #10 of 12

SMBC is a lot like whipped cream in flavor and texture, thats why its such a good compliment with the cheesecake icon_smile.gif

torysgirl87 Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:

Other things besides icing will slide around? Or other things besides jam, curd and icing will slide around?

Thanks so much! I just want it to be perfect! icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 12

other besides icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%