Need Help With Cowboy Themed Wedding Cake

Decorating By phoufer Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm by phoufer

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 13

I have been asked to do a wedding cake to feed 150 people. The topper the bride has needs a 10 inch base, I haven't seen it but it was described as the groom wearing a cowboy hat being dragged by the bride with a rope. I am at a loss as to what size (they want rounds) to do starting with a 10 in. on top. I don't want the cake to look short and fat. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

12 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 13

Hi, here is the Wilton serving chart, you can use any one of those.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/serving-amounts-100-150.cfm

HTH. icon_smile.gif

phoufer Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 13

thank you bashini, I forgot to mention they also want a 6 in. anniversay cake, which I can't put as top tier because of the topper that is why I am stuck for the sizes and the look.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 13

You mean, they want to keep the 6" cake for their anniversery?

The link I gave you before is for 100-150.

Here is another one for 150-200, ( sorry about that)

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/serving-amounts-150-200.cfm

Can't you keep the 6" cake seperately and make the wedding cake for 150 people?

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 13

10 inch cake on tall pillars the base cake is 14 or 16 with 6 in the middle pillars on the outside of it. The 6 inch cake is the base for flowers, hat, rope. It would be a little different but might work.

phoufer Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 13

Yes that is what I was thinking I would have to do. Keep the 6 in. separate because they want them stacked. Bashini thanks for the charts very helpful. I just haven't started with a 10 in. cake so wasn't too sure about the look this would have.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 13

I am looking for the pic. I think it was in an old wilton wedding. They did a cuppola (sp) top covered in flowering vines and a 6 inch in the middle with a couple dancing. I liked the thought of it. I can see the top the the bride dragging the groom on top, the tall pillars and maybe like a bail of hay with a cowboy hat sitting on it, or just cascading flowers. What is the rest of the design like?

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 13

I have a western wedding cake in my photos. It might give you some western ideas.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm
post #9 of 13

How about using the topper between tiers instead of on top?

Lori17201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori17201 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:24pm
post #10 of 13

There's no rule that says the topper has to be on the cake. It can be on a higher pedestal. Use 3 or 4 seperated stand alone tiers with the topper on the uppermost stand.

Lori17201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori17201 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:31pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori17201

There's no rule that says the topper has to be on the cake. It can be on a higher pedestal. Use 3 or 4 seperated stand alone tiers with the topper on the uppermost stand.

oops didn't realize they want stacked cakes. Maybe showing them your design a few different ways to incorporate the topper. Don't pigeon hole yourself to the stacked cake though. Let them see other options. It may be they have something in mind because it seemed right but that's without the topper they want to use. THeir topper can be placed on the cake table but have something else as a cake topper, flowers, house, initials, etc.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 10:39pm
post #12 of 13

I think you may have to educate the bride about the look that will be achieved with a ten inch as the top of a stacked cake. I would draw out a sketch showing what it would look like completely stacked with the 10 inch on top and then compare that to bottom tiers stacked with the topper on a 10 inch separated by pillars and a 6 inch on top of that...or one of the other suggestions you've received for separating the topper. If you used pillars they could be wrapped to look like leather or barbed wire. You could do quite a few very cool things with the top like maybe leather "fringe" hanging down from the separator plate and a hat as the topper or just a knotted rope as the topper. HTH

phoufer Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you all for your ideas. I ended up doing 2 sketches for the bride one to show how it would look with the 10 in top and one using pillars to add a 6in. with the topper sitting on the 10 in. Hopefully they will see the difference in the look and go for adding the pillars. The only other decoration they want on the cake is maybe some scroll work or a few small flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%