Cookie "paint"

Baking By leahk Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 7:56am by Honeydukes

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:01pm
post #1 of 8

I remember once seeing something about painting cookies before they bake using egg and food coloring. Has anyone tried this? What part of the egg would I use? I would imagine the yolk discolors.
Thanks!

7 replies
tujy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tujy Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 8

i found this video on youtube. skip it to 1:15 - thats when it starts to talk about using egg YOLK + food colouring to paint cookies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdp8tQKWYHY&feature=related

i dont get how they got the yolk to go white though??

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 8

I wouldn't use egg -- too many health issues. You can do just fine using either water and gel colors or lemon extract and lustre dusts.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 8

You can (and I do) paint gingerbread cookies with either whole egg, egg yolk, whole egg + with food coloring or egg yolk + food coloring (or coffee or cocoa) to get dark, shiny surface.
You paint it before baking and traditionally after baking - in the moment you get it out of the oven.

When you paint it with food coloring, you have to be super super careful to have even surface of the egg wash - unless you are going after the marble effect.
Easier is it to paint before with water only, and with egg and food coloring after baking. The color isn't than as dark.

Because all I get here easily are raw eggs, I am super careful how do I handle the eggs beforehand and paint with egg wash not after I take it out of the oven, but 1 min. before - also take out of the oven, paint, return for 1 min.

No idea what you get by painting sugar cookies icon_confused.gif

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 8

There are some people that paint the cookies with thinned dough. I haven't tried that but it looks great.
HTH

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 6:54am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for the replies! When I didn't get an email notice I assumed that there were no replies!
I want to paint th ecookies with students so that they have the chance to decorate them, but there is no drying time. I do cookie baking as a prize option after reading a certain number of books.
Thanks again for your help!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 7:56am
post #8 of 8

Here's a recipe for Egg Yolk Paint:

1 Large Egg (raw)
1/2 tsp of Water
Food Coloring

Separate the yolk from the white. Put the yolk in a bowl and add water. Mix in your food color. Paint on the cookie before baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%