Help!!! Need Edible Image To Stand Vertically On A Cuppy??

Decorating By serenelui Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 2:00pm by DianeLM

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:19am
post #1 of 17

Hey guys.. i'm in desperate need of your advice.. i've ordered some edible images for an order and the customer wants the edible image to be vertically standing and placed in the centre of the cupcake swirls.. however the edible image is really soft and i have no idea how i can vertically stand it on the swirls without it drooping!! Anyone??? Thanks!!!!

16 replies
sheeza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheeza Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:35am
post #2 of 17

how about applying the image onto fondant first let it dry and it will be stiff enough to stand up .
and it will be edible still. hope this makes sense icon_smile.gif

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:47am
post #3 of 17

sheeza is correct, add the image to fondant (add a scewer so you can just pop that into the cupcake) and allow to dry. I would do this about a week before you are going to use so that the fondant can dry well.

I have not done this for cupcakes but I have done it for other cakes and it worked really well.

serenelui Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:50am
post #4 of 17

thanks so much you Sheeza and SScakes!! you're a lifesaver!!!

SScakes, could i ask.. for the skewer.. did u insert it between the fondant and edible image layer? or at the back of the fondant layer itself.. i don't want to warp the edible image in any way so i'm not sure where it would be best to insert the skewer. thanks!!!

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 9:54am
post #5 of 17

Put the fontant topper onto the cupcake at the last minute, I make fondant toppers for cupcakes a lot and even if they are hard as nails when I put them on 24 hours later they will have started to soften because of the moisture in the buttercream.

Sara

serenelui Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 10:36am
post #6 of 17

Thanks for the advice saracupcake.. will make sure i try and put it in as late as possible!! Thanks for the tip icon_smile.gif

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenelui

thanks so much you Sheeza and SScakes!! you're a lifesaver!!!

SScakes, could i ask.. for the skewer.. did u insert it between the fondant and edible image layer? or at the back of the fondant layer itself.. i don't want to warp the edible image in any way so i'm not sure where it would be best to insert the skewer. thanks!!!

I let the image dry for about 2 days and then I 'paste' the stick onto the back with royal icing and then allow that to dry...probably another day or so depending how thick you apply it.

lsigler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsigler Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 17

i'm also trying to attach an edible image to a cut out of fondant. I've let the fondant dry (3 days) now...what's the best way to attach the edible image...i've heard corn syrup, liquid fondant, liquid gum paste....HELP...

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 17

There is a tutorial by Boween here:

http://cakecentral.com/article.....laque.html

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 17

I just tried that tutorial veejaytx and it didn't work. Mind if I ask you knowledgable people a quick question - what mediums are edible. I assume from this thread dried out fondant is edible, but is gumpaste?

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:10pm
post #11 of 17

Sorry about the link. Try this one: http://cakecentral.com/article163-How-To-Make-an-Image-Icing-Plaque.html

On the home page, it is in the tutorials down toward the bottom of the page.

Sugarpaste dries so hard, it is difficult to eat, but is edible if you really want to do that. Not sure about gumpaste, I haven't used any myself, it may be a little softer when it dries.

Melnick Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:18pm
post #12 of 17

That tutorial did work. Thanks for that! Thanks for the info too.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:31pm
post #13 of 17

lisigler - Yikes! You're supposed to apply the image to the fondant while it's still soft, then let the whole finished project dry.

Melnick - It's just the opposite - Gumpaste dries rock hard and is virtually inedible - or at least very unpleasant. Sugarpaste (fondant) dries pretty hard, but can still be bitten through. Kind of like wafer candies.

To make an image stand up:

Roll out your white fondant pretty thin. I like to use the pasta machine for this.

Cut around the outline of your edible image.

Slightly dampen the surface of the rolled out fondant with water using a fan brush or paper towel.

Peel off the image and place it on the fondant.

Cut around the outline of the image to remove the excess fondant. Or, if the fondant is acting as a frame, cut accordingly with a knife or cookie cutter.

Let the fondant/image dry on a piece of foam sponge.

Attach skewer or lollipop stick to the back of the dried fondant/image with royal icing or melted chocolate.

serenelui Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:42pm
post #14 of 17

Oh wow!!! thanks!!! That was a great tutorial!!! icon_smile.gif

Melnick Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:08am
post #15 of 17

Thanks for that advice DianeLM. I thought that might have been the case. I just wasn't sure if I could even let the kids put the fondant in their mouths if it had been out for ages. Could maybe ask one more question? If I use an eggless RI mix and made little images for cupcakes, would they be ok to be eaten 3 weeks after I'd made them? Trying to organise myself for my son's party.

SugarChic24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarChic24 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:23am
post #16 of 17

I like this idea, quick question... Planning a 30th for my SIL, possibly want to do this but I know she is very anti-fondant (dont like the taste) could i put an edible image on chocolate to make it satnd in a cc?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:00pm
post #17 of 17

Melnick - I've put edible images on royal icing - but never 3 weeks in advance.

I don't know if it will hold up or get brittle and possible chip off. Maybe someone else has experience with this.

SugarChic24 - You can definitely put edible images on chocolate. It's a little tricky, tho, because no matter what you use to glue it on, it peels off very easily. You just have to be careful and not handle it too much.

And remember - no matter what you use as a base for your EI, it's got to be white.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%