Best Advice You Never Got

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 12:24pm by marmalade1687

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:40pm
post #31 of 39

Moniquea, I get so frustrated with hubby because he carries spare barriers around with him, in case someone leaves home without one! icon_lol.gif He's always looking for "permission" to do something.

While he is the "Can I do this?" person, I am the "Why CAN'T you do this?" He is the "step back and look at all the things that can go wrong" person and I'm the "let's jump in and see how it goes!" person.

Overall, it means we're a good team, but if I waited on him to do the total buy-in on a project, I'd STILL be waiting on him to "find" some extra money in the budget for me to buy my first business cards!!

Remember, "eagles soar alone"! thumbs_up.gif

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:15pm
post #32 of 39

Awww, thanks so much icon_biggrin.gif

I felt if I keep going long enough and do my best I might be able to fly near one. I even imagine trying not to be blinded by the sun while trying to reach their heights... but you just made me feel like one icon_redface.gif

Thanks...

_______

Like I said earlier, I don't own a business... yet. But the woman I work for found out about a 'loan' that most don't know about thru a generous bar owning cop. It would allow her to pay for a new entrance and can be forgiven after 3 years if she creates a job for someone disadvantaged. Never underestimate anyone, get to know the people around you icon_wink.gif

crazycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycaker Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #33 of 39

Act professsionally, and people will treat you professionally.

When you have to say "no" do so politely, but firmly. Don't talk about your clients to other clients. People know who is a gossip, and many people don't like their parties/budgets/family issues talked about to others.

When you are out in public (even not at the shop), you and your business are always on display. If you are rude to the grocery store clerks, that reflects on your business, etc.

If you make a mistake, own up to it. Try to amend it in some way -- and fast. I had a near-miss car accident, and lost a cake on one delivery. I treated it as my personal emergency, got a new cake re-made (stayed up all night), plus gave the client a small "gift cake" and letter of apology. I gained more business from the "disaster" than any other weekend.

icon_smile.gif I never got this advice...so I hope it meets your criteria!

mommy1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy1st Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #34 of 39

Always remember that you never will be able to please everyone all of the time. You will have customers that will look for the tiniest thing to complain about if they think they can get something for free. Just go out there, and do the best you can.

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:50pm
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Moniquea, I get so frustrated with hubby because he carries spare barriers around with him, in case someone leaves home without one! icon_lol.gif He's always looking for "permission" to do something.

While he is the "Can I do this?" person, I am the "Why CAN'T you do this?" He is the "step back and look at all the things that can go wrong" person and I'm the "let's jump in and see how it goes!" person.

Overall, it means we're a good team, but if I waited on him to do the total buy-in on a project, I'd STILL be waiting on him to "find" some extra money in the budget for me to buy my first business cards!!

My husband is a bigamist! He must be living in Indiana with his other wife--Indydebi!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I think you may have mistakenly married my DH icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Let me know when you are done with him, I would like him back icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:41am
post #37 of 39

Best advice I NEVER got:

It doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you get there.

I can't tell you how much time I have wasted trying to make other people's habits, techniques, whatever, work for me... instead of just being confident in my own way of doing something.

Oh, and I wish some one in the 80s had mentioned the folly of shoulder pads and blue eye shadow. Sheesh, I still haven't recovered.

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:32am
post #38 of 39

1. That almost every husband coming in with an his wife will look at the cake with some akin to boredom and confusion as to why they are paying this much for a cake.....you will almost see them silently say but it's just a cake.
2. Being up to your elbows in cream sounds much more glamorous than it is.
3. Your husband will not allow you to give your dog away no matter how many cakes that dog has houdini-ed away from (how does a dachshund get onto a counter, honestly?)
4. If you live in a small area you will get to be known as the "cake lady"
5. Don't ever EVER EVER let a cake leave without taking a picture no matter how many times you are reassured that they will send you pictures
6. You will grow to hate the taste of plain butter cream icing

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:24pm
post #39 of 39

Thanks for the bright comments - these have all reminded me why I started my business. I have had a difficult weekend, and the week isn't looking much better, but reading the comments today has made me rethink my gameplan - thank you everyone!

And thanks for the laugh miss_sweetstory - I wish that I had never been introduced to shoulder pads!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%