My Fondant Problem... Very Embarrassing...(Long)

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 5:06am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:21am
post #1 of 16

I've only covered a cake with fondant three times. I use Michele Foster's fondant which is wonderful to work with.

First cake was a two tier cake with ganache. The smaller tier I just let the ganache set (I used the Planet Cake technique) over night and then covered it with fondant. It squished the ganache and I couldn't smooth it out. So I decided to put the larger tier in the fridge for a few hours and covered it. This time the fondant started getting sticky the moment it touched the cold ganache. I had to do repairs and stuff. It was quite stressful.

Second and third cake I used SMBC. Same thing happened with the condensation on the fondant making it sticky and difficult to smooth.

I live in a very humid country. Even the SMBC melts just a minute out of the fridge. It gets soft but not dripping melty.

Another problem is... when I kinda move the fondant, the ganache and SMBC would stick to it. How can I save the fondant when it has icing on it?

Thanks for reading. I really love to work with fondant but covering cakes with it is just so frustrating. I think I'm willing to try a crusting BC but i love SMBC SOOOOOOOOOOO much icon_sad.gif

I appreciate any suggestions, tips or advice. TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:40am
post #2 of 16

While you're learning, it might help to use a crusting BC for the outside of the cake, but you can still fill with SMBC (I just did a cake like that today). Then you will have longer to work with it when it comes out of the fridge.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:42am
post #3 of 16

Does SMBC not crust? Why do you put fondant on it? Is your ganache under the fondant the pourable type or the type you spread on? Could you use a small fan to help with the melting icing from the humidity? Sorry for all the questions but trying to help you figure this out. I use buttercream under the few fondant cakes I do. My family likes buttercream or whipped icing and not fondant so I don't do very many fondant covered cakes.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:51am
post #4 of 16

Tubbscookies, that's a great idea! I can definitely try that. I never thought of that hahaha. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

luv_to_decorate, SMBC does not crust icon_sad.gif I put fondant on it because lots of people here do and they do it oh so well. The ganache I used was spreadable. I have a fan in the kitchen that I turn on, no help. I have no airconditioning though, I think AC will help tremendously.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:52am
post #5 of 16

What ganache recipe did you use? I know Planet Cake and most of the Australian decorators use ganache because it is more stable in heat. I don't know about humidity though. Their ganache is 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream - the recipe is on their website, ie. 16 oz. chocolate to 8 oz. cream. It sets up really hard, like the inside of chocolate truffle. You can put the ganache covered cake in the fridge or freezer for a short time - 30 min. or so to really set up. Once you put the fondant on you shouldn't have to put it back in the fridge. They do recommend keeping it in an air-conditioned room though.

If you're new to fondant I might recommend using a commercial fondant, it really is easy to work with...I think homemade fondant takes some experience.

Keep practicing, you'll learn lots here.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 5:11am
post #6 of 16

Unfortunately commercial fondant isn't available where I am. I have to take a plane ride. icon_sad.gif

I will try the ganache again. I really like how PLanet Cake does their cakes. I forgot what ratio I used. But I will try it again and follow their recipe closely.

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 5:25am
post #7 of 16

Ive had this prob a couple of times.... everytime i cover the cake with fondant, its used to get all sticky coz of the humidity.... but with the AC on it works wonders.... I speciallly tell all my clients that the cake needs to b kept in an AC room or else it will get sticky. If not an AC maybe u can get one of those small coolers... maybe tht will help n make sure the windows n doors of the room r closed.....

HTH

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 16

Are you really in Dubai? Then you know how I feel. I'm in the Philippines and the humidity is killer. I will try that next time. Although I have to admit I'm thisclose to giving up on being able to cover with fondant.

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 16

hi denise!

i feel your pain..are you working in an a/c room?you know how humidity could be so high at times in our beloved phils. so i only put out the cake from the ref after i've rolled out the fondant..i tried ganache(and buttercream) underneath fondant before and it worked well..perhaps the consistency of your ganache is pouring type?mine was the spreadable type..
hope this helps

bobbie

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:06am
post #10 of 16

Yes i am ! I dread summer.... its just soo annoying....once i completed a cake had the AC on... n then thought Id take a little nap... when i got back... someone turned the AC off while i was asleep n the cake (in the shape of a lady standing) had the head n arms off n the dress was all sticky.... cant ever forget tht day!

so all i can say is tht the AC IS A MUST

bobhope Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:30am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwa

so all i can say is tht the AC IS A MUST

i second that...

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 16

damn... i better add AC to the budget then icon_sad.gif

bobbie, hello! When you take the cake out of the fridge and then cover it, doesn't the fondant sweat? and is your ganache recipe ratio 2:1? and your buttercream crusting?

bobhope Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:04pm
post #13 of 16

hi!
it does sweat a little, it's more because of the cold bc.but it disappears quickly..1lb/16oz. ss choco to 1 cup heavy cream for the ganache (an elisa strauss recipe,i just replaced her original bittersweet w/ ss)..my bc is just a regular one..
you won't have any success w/ fondant w/o ac, at least not here in our country icon_sad.gif ...good luck..

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 1:20am
post #14 of 16

I'm actually rethinking it. maybe i'm better off with a crusting BC... icon_sad.gif thanks guys!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 3:19am
post #15 of 16

I have nothing to add here, I just wanted to say I LOVE your avatar--one of my fave shows of all time, and Marjorie Dawes is one of the BEST characters ever. I LOVE me some CAKE!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Mar 2009 , 5:06am
post #16 of 16

hahaha! Oh man i love da cake! yeah "she" is pretty funny. love the show too. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%