Smooth Buttercream

Decorating By ss4him Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 10:53pm by ss4him

ss4him Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ss4him Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 6

I have a wedding cake next weekend, and they (friend of family) just decided they want buttercream instead of fondant. I never do that... I just can't get it smooth. Never had any classes or anything. Any tips you can give me? Or a tutorial to point me to? Thanks so much!

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 6

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above thread also has popular CC methods of smoothing b/c... as well as recipes.

HTH

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 6

Get it as smooth as you can and use the Melvira method. You can find instructions if you scroll down on the home page. Your bc has to be a crusting one though.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 6

Yesterday I saw a youtube video on smoothing bc. It was great - I love the look of it and the taste!

Those videos are free (best part) just have to weed through some clunkers.

copy and paste this - on perfecting buttercream-if you don't like this one try another search for smoothing buttercream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeEOMdiSkGw&feature=PlayList&p=1931122B28AFC1F0&playnext=1&index=6

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 6

The Melvira Method as well as other smoothing techniques, are detailed in my above post, as well as crusting b/c recipes using either Crisco or hi-ratio shortening. icon_smile.gif

ss4him Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ss4him Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone. I am heading to Home Depot tonight!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%