Total Newbie!!!! Please Help

Sugar Work By heater79 Updated 10 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm by DNBunny

heater79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heater79 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone,
I am curious to know what is used and how to create bases for cakes with sugar that is boiled...coloured then poured to create a water effect or what have you? I have seen it done on Food Network....wont mention any names of shows....cough....cough....duff....cough.....lolicon_surprised.gif
I am not experienced in working with sugar (pulled, blown or otherwise)...
Gee that didn't sound to good.icon_eek.gif ..lol
Could I get some tips or where I should start learning on this art form.
I do own candy thermometers... thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 5

When I need a water effect I simply put blue color into piping gel and paint it on.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 5

Ditto. Welcome to CC, you will find lots of great information here and lots and lots of very helpful people.

heater79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heater79 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 5

Ya I have done water many different ways.....but thats not really what I am asking.......I want to know if anyone knows where I can get information on doing that kind of technique with sugar.....?????......Or even what its called????

DNBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DNBunny Posted 10 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 5

It sounds like you just want to make a lollipop-type glass effect with sugar. This site has advice on how to make "hard candy" which is just boiling sugar until it reaches 300 degrees.

http://baking9 11.com/candy/hard.htm

[sorry, I've tried to add the whole site but the board gremlins keep deleting the baking9 11 part of the address. You'll have to copy/paste this in by hand and then delete the space]

There are instructions for making a slab of clear lollipop slab here:

http://www.baking9 11.com/recipes/candy/hard.htm

If you put blue food coloring in it, you'll get a blue clear sheet of hard sugar candy. Is that what you had in mind?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%