Bus. Owners: Do You Include A Box For The Cake Top?

Business By handymama Updated 4 Mar 2009 , 1:19pm by handymama

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 23

My first official wedding cake is coming up, and the bride has said she wants to save the 8" square top tier. Is it customary for the bakery to provide a box for this? I don't really mind providing it, but it is one more stack of stuff for me to purchase/store! TIA

22 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 23

Yes, if they're keeping the top tier, you totally provide the box

However 99% of my brides serve the entire cake and take a gift certificate for a fresh cake on their first anniversary.

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 23

I always provide a box for the anniversary cake.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 23

We typically provide a box, not necessarily for an anniversary tier, but for the newlyweds to have some cake in their hotel room.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 23

Same as Leahs...most prefer a fresh cake but we do offer the box, sometimes they also request small takeout containers for family to take leftover cakes-thats an extra charge.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 23

I leave three boxes. One for top and two for leftovers. It is always appreciated icon_smile.gif

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:36am
post #7 of 23

I always leave a box for leftover cake (if there is ever any!), and another box for the top tier if they are bring it home. I always put my box sticker on the box though - that way, the venue won't re-use the boxes for other events if they forget to give the boxes to my brides (don't ask, it's happened!) I also write a little "Congratulations" on the box for a nice little personal touch! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:41am
post #8 of 23

Yes you score points with venues and planners for providing packaging for leftovers.

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:36pm
post #9 of 23

Wow, that's a really nice gift from you to her! An 8" square cake serves 30 wedding guests. I start at $3.65 per person, that would be over $100 worth of wedding cake as a gift. The anniversary cake is for the two of them to share a year later, not serve a 20-30 person get together. I do a 2 layer 4" round cake which is in a 6" box. Just enough for the 2 of them to have either when they get back from their honeymoon or save for the 1st year. If you are going to box an 8" square cake, you will need a 10" box, not a size most couples will want in their freezer for a whole year. I have done the 4" cakes for 3-4 years now, not one complaint it's too small, and the halls like not having to box up a top of the wedding cake. A 6x6x4 box fits in the freezer much better than a 10x10x5 if they are going to keep it. Plus I would rather get paid for that 8" cake as part of the servings and give them the 4" for free.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfao

Wow, that's a really nice gift from you to her! An 8" square cake serves 30 wedding guests. I start at $3.65 per person, that would be over $100 worth of wedding cake as a gift. The anniversary cake is for the two of them to share a year later, not serve a 20-30 person get together. I do a 2 layer 4" round cake which is in a 6" box. Just enough for the 2 of them to have either when they get back from their honeymoon or save for the 1st year. If you are going to box an 8" square cake, you will need a 10" box, not a size most couples will want in their freezer for a whole year. I have done the 4" cakes for 3-4 years now, not one complaint it's too small, and the halls like not having to box up a top of the wedding cake. A 6x6x4 box fits in the freezer much better than a 10x10x5 if they are going to keep it. Plus I would rather get paid for that 8" cake as part of the servings and give them the 4" for free.

I don't think she means it's a gift, does she?

I've started offering the 1yr Anniversary cake coupon also. I do a 2 layer 6" white or chocolate with BC, nothing fancy.

8" for a top tier is pretty big though, not because of the serving size, just the overall appearance of the cake. The largest top tier I'll do is a 6". (unless they have a HUGE topper)

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:02pm
post #11 of 23

If she's giving her a box to keep the 8" top tier, then it's not being counted in the servings needed - hence her "anniversary tier" = so that means she's not paying for those servings that this cake tier could accomodate. If she's not paying for those extra servings because she is keeping that cake, that cake is being provided to her free of charge, just like a gift (or whatever else you would like to call it).

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:12pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfao

I do a 2 layer 4" round cake which is in a 6" box. Just enough for the 2 of them to have either when they get back from their honeymoon or save for the 1st year. ...

... I have done the 4" cakes for 3-4 years now, not one complaint it's too small, and the halls like not having to box up a top of the wedding cake. A 6x6x4 box fits in the freezer much better than a 10x10x5 if they are going to keep it. Plus I would rather get paid for that 8" cake as part of the servings and give them the 4" for free.

Me too exactly!!

I have enough scraps & extra batter that I do two 4 or 5 " little baby cakes--one for that night for them to have after all the hoopla and one for the freezer, both boxed and ready to go.

If I ever have money trouble with a client, this is my pressure valve too--no gift cakes for you!

icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 3:32pm
post #13 of 23

Some people want to box up the top tier regardless... it doesn't mean that she is giving it to them for free. Maybe she is, but it could very well be that they paid for it. I don't think we can make that assumption.

I always provide a box for leftovers. One 10" box is usually more than sufficient. If they want to save the top tier I will provide another box, but no one has wanted to do that. They all take the option of a fresh 4" anniversary tier. If they want to save the top tier they still have to pay for it. I won't provide that for free.

handymama Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 4:08pm
post #14 of 23

No, I'm not giving her the top tier for free. I've toyed with the idea of offering a free anniversary tier but since I'm still quite new at this I was concerned about getting myself into a corner later on--visions of a busy week, and 2-3 anniversary orders coming in. For now I think I'll just provide a box even though, as one poster said, a 10 x 10 box isn't something anyone is going to want in their freezer!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:08pm
post #15 of 23

I too charge for the whole wedding cake regardless of whether they wanna keep the top. And I offer the free ann. tier 1 year later too but it is NOT a replica. Just a simple white iced cake with borders and a "Happy Anniversary". They still can pick whatever flavor inside. This does save the worry of them ordering it on a busy weekend... they take about 10 min to do.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama

No, I'm not giving her the top tier for free. I've toyed with the idea of offering a free anniversary tier but since I'm still quite new at this I was concerned about getting myself into a corner later on--visions of a busy week, and 2-3 anniversary orders coming in. For now I think I'll just provide a box even though, as one poster said, a 10 x 10 box isn't something anyone is going to want in their freezer!

I didn't think you were giving it for free.......if you were I was getting ready for indy to come on here and give you a licking! icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 9:59pm
post #17 of 23

icon_lol.gif I bet Debi would have come out with her mom finger a wavin'. icon_wink.gif

And I'd have been right behind too...

I don't offer replicas for the anniversary cake either. They take minutes to decorate. A plain iced cake with two interlocked hearts on the top and a pearl border. Bing bang boom done. If they wan't it more elaborate they pay for the detail and give me plenty of notice or I say no way Jose. I offer them in vanilla or chocolate cake and they can choose the filling. It makes it pretty fool proof.

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 10:16pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

However 99% of my brides serve the entire cake and take a gift certificate for a fresh cake on their first anniversary.

This is so neat. I wish I would've found a baker that offered an anniversary cake! I didn't even know it was an option. I got exactly one bite of our wedding cake (the bite hubby fed me for the cameras). We froze the top tier and thawed it out for our first month anniversary, but it was already really dried out and unappetizing.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:28pm
post #19 of 23

We leave an 8" board for them to set the 6" cake on, and a box with our shop label and instuctions on how to wrap the cake to preserve it and also instructions for thawing. We get thank-you note from some brides a year later. The cake was still good.

handymama Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #20 of 23

classiccake--what are your wrapping/freezing/thawing directions?

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:05pm
post #21 of 23

Leave the cake in the box and wrap the box in several layers of plastic wrap, alternatingthe direction of the wrap. Use the 18" long heavy duty foil and tear off a long piece and center the cake on the foil. Bring up the sides and wrap just like you would a present, taping and sealing the full length all the seams.

Freeze. To thaw, set in the refridgerator 24 hours to thaw slowly. Unwrap and leave at room temperature 2 - 3 hours before serving.

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 6:36am
post #22 of 23

Yes, we provide a great little box we order from brpboxshop.com
I get specialty boxes from them that I can't get locally. The one we order specifically for top tiers is an 8x8x6, with a window top. We put our label on it, and place it on or near the cake table, or with the caterer/staff if they are present.

handymama Posted 4 Mar 2009 , 1:19pm
post #23 of 23

Wonderful boxes! Thanks for letting us know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%