I Want It Sparkly!

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 4:55pm by emrldsky

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 6

One of my very best friends is turning 60 this year - not until August, so there's plenty of planning time.

The best way to describe her is "over the top". She often wears sparkly tiaras and feather boas just because. She changes wigs to suit her mood - she doesn't need to wear wigs, she just likes to change it up! Her personality is just so big and wonderful. And she LOVES her birthday. She is planning a huge blowout with at least 100 people. She wants to have 2 cakes - both made by me. The first one I'm good with...

The other one, she just said "I want it sparkly". The party theme is basically Pajamas and Diamonds...

So I need help with an over the top, funky, spunky, sparkly cake to try to match her personality! I am a relative beginner, only been decorating for a little over 6 months. But I have plenty of time to order supplies and PRACTICE to pull this off. I just want to make something special for a very special person.

Ideas, pictures, etc would be great!

5 replies
Confectioners_Conundrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectioners_Conundrum Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 6

Get some shimmer dust, or luster dust! It comes in a bunch of different colors and you just brush it or sprinkle it on to the cake fondant or frosting. It sort of disovles on the frosting and makes it really sparkle! As for the cake design, I would definatly try to tie in that whole tiara and feather boa thing! how cute!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 6

I did a search in the gallery for FEATHER and these cakes came up! They are great and I'm sure you could find some fun cakes there!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=FEATHER

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 6

does your friend have a favorite pair of pjs you could mimick the pattern of on the cake and make some elements that will stick out? I imagine if she's all about pajamas and diamonds she has fun pjs =D

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 6

The last time we did a PJ & Pearls party, she wore tiger striped satin PJs... I don't know if I could pull off tiger stripes!

I was thinking maybe 3 pillows, stacked with a tiara on top. But it has to be BOLD. I would cover with fondant - I've never covered a cake before, but I have made my own fondant, and made decorations with it... I also have experience with making a tiara - though I would want to put gems in one for her, and make it BIG. And I have successfully carved a pillow cake. So I would do things that I know how to do, just take it all up a notch or ten, LOL! Maybe I could try to tiger stripe one of the pillows? and HSe loves hot pink, so make one hot pink... What else would go with that for a third pilow?

And still other ideas? I am all over the place!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 6

If she's that over the top, make the tiger-stripped on hot pink and black, then you have more colors to play with (purple, red, yellow, green, etc.). I think sticking with a typical tiger-color would hamper that a bit.

Have FUN with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%