How To Prevent Tilting/leaning Cake

Decorating By mracker27 Updated 1 Mar 2009 , 3:13am by prterrell

mracker27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mracker27 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 5

I am having a heck of a time getting my cakes to stand up straight. The top is level but they look like the leaning tower of pisa. Do any of you have some tips or techniques that could help me with this issue? It's not horrible, but not perfectly straight either!

Thank you!

4 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 5

Are you talking about multi-tier cakes? If so, make sure you are supporting each tier correctly with a cake board and dowels or a separator plate system.

If you are having trouble with a single-tier cake, make sure you are using a good stiff icing dam to hold in your fillings and are not over-filling the cake. I find it helpful to fill and stack the cake and then refrigerate for 15 - 30 minutes before icing the cake.

mracker27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mracker27 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 5

I'm talking about a single tier cake (with 2 layers). I barely used any icing in between my cake layers so it's hard for me to imagine that it would make that big of a difference. I do stack my cakes while they're still frozen because it's easier for me to ice it that way. Maybe that's the reason??? I Just have no idea!

Thanks for your suggestion.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 5

Are you leveling the layers before you stack them?

If your cake comes out with a 'hump', you need to trim that off so your cake sits level no matter which end is up.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 3:13am
post #5 of 5

Don't forget that the cakes expand as they thaw. The thawing may well be causing the problem. I've found that stacking and filling a frozen cake is okay, but it's best to wait until it's thawed to ice it. The thawing can also cause the icing to crack as the cake expands beneath it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%