I Don't Like Fondant...

Decorating By ajarvis Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 7:45pm by chrissypie

ajarvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajarvis Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 26

Is there anything other than fondant that I can use to make beautiful cakes like those on here? I really don't like the taste of fondant, and what's the point of making a cake if you don't even want to eat some? I'm just starting out with cake decorating, and have only done a few character cakes, but I would really like to try to branch out and try some ideas that I've seen here, but it seems like fondant is the most common way to get that smoothe look and make the cute characters and such. I've heard of gum paste- is that kind of along the same lines as fondant? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

25 replies
tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 26

First and foremost, what kind of fondant have you tasted?

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 26

Gumpaste is used to make flowers and characters and is really not considered edible although you can eat it, it becomes rock hard. Have you tried the MMF fondant. I haven't had anyone that didn't like it.

angel951747 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angel951747 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 26

My father doesn't ike fondant ither and I have tried numerous recipes. I stuck with Michelle Foster's fondant. I like it the best. Marshmallow fondant is ok, but I still prefer Michelle's. It has a more subtle taste and doesn't make you feel like you are eating a ball of sugar. Otherwise, you would neet to perfect your buttercream applcation so that the cake looks like it would if it were covered with fondant. Also could try marzipan (is that how you spell it?).

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 26

you can create great cakes just with buttercream - have you seen some of the cakes/people on here where you cant tell what has been used? you just need to practice and get it perfectly smooth. you can pipe bc accents, or just have small bits of fondant.
as others said though, u need to experiment to find a fondant you like, wiltons is renowned for being horrible, so if u tried that, i dont think it counts!
xx

Davina_Alloway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davina_Alloway Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 26

I personal LOVE the MMF. I just wish I would have found it sooner. Also, if you use fondant and a good layer of Buttercream under it, just pull off the fondant. I know many of my wedding customers did that before I found the MMF. Good Luck

ajarvis Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 26

Lol- I didn't know there were different kinds of fondant. Sorry- as I said, I'm pretty new to this stuff. Yes- it was Wilton's that I tasted. Are there fondant recipes on here, or should I just look to buy different kinds at specialty cake stores? I've been practicing trying to get buttercream perfectly smoothe and I guess I'm just not there yet... or maybe don't have the right tools- it just never seems to work for me and takes forever to get it satisfactory for my perfectionism.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 26

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_id-add_box-7400.html

My family hates fondant...but they love this...and I can do as much with it as I can with fondant.

I covered my carved cake with it and made all of my little animals with it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1319711

Good luck....

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:37pm
post #9 of 26

I always felt the same way but see I don't really like bc either, I'm a whipped topping gal. But to get pretty smooth cakes I recommend you master the art of smoothing your bc to look like fondant, like toneda and sugarshacks, they are awesome and there are so many others on this site but those are the 2 that popped up in my head. I still keep trying, mines not perfect at all but one day I will be as good as other cc'ers. I have ss video on bc it's great but if you want something now check out tonedas video on you tube on bc it's great. Good luck

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajarvis

Lol- I didn't know there were different kinds of fondant. Sorry- as I said, I'm pretty new to this stuff. Yes- it was Wilton's that I tasted. Are there fondant recipes on here, or should I just look to buy different kinds at specialty cake stores? I've been practicing trying to get buttercream perfectly smoothe and I guess I'm just not there yet... or maybe don't have the right tools- it just never seems to work for me and takes forever to get it satisfactory for my perfectionism.

You definitely need to try both MMF (Marshmallow Fondant) and Michele Foster's recipe before you make any final decisions:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-4-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:44pm
post #11 of 26

I like MMF and RBC. My husband doen't like either because he thinks they are too chewy and likes the creaminess of BC. I use both just for different things.

ajarvis Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 26

Thank you so much for your suggestions and recipes! I will definitely have to try these!!! Rockysmom- that cake is adorable! I'll need to see what I can do, and I'll keep working with buttercream too. Thanks for all your help!

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:16pm
post #13 of 26

I agree, Wilton fondant is nasty. I used it while taking Wilton classes because that was all that was readily available for me. I took another class and the teacher saw I had wilton fondant with me and was like, oh no honey! She gave me a big hunk of Satin Ice. What a difference! I can't say I tasted it, but the workability was amazing compared to Wilton. I have tasted FondX and it was good. I imagine Chocopan must be great too. I really want to try the fondarific stuff. I mean, Wilton must be out of their minds making that stuff. Everyone hates it, I mean hates it. I have never heard anyone say a kind thing about it! I mean, I guess it is fine for making the things you won't eat, such as flowers and bows, but that is it. They really should reformulate, maybe people would buy more! I tried to make the Marshmallow stuff and had no luck. I did make a batch with strawberry marshmallows that came out great, but no luck with plain white marshmallows, it is always too dry and just rips and it is weird. I have made Toba Garretts home made fondant and it came out terrific! It could have used more flavor, but the it was so easy to make and the texture was nice.

Hope this help, just opinion, I guess!

ajarvis Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:19pm
post #14 of 26

chrissy- Thanks! I'll definitely have to try the satin ice stuff. Yeah- I won't even buy Wilton, I've just tried it when helping my mom with my baby shower cake... SO GROSS!

chrissypie Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:35pm
post #15 of 26

no problem!

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:47pm
post #16 of 26

If you want to get you bc smooth, use the Melvira method or the paper towel method of smoothing. There are several forums on these. I always use the Melvira method (paint roller) and have no problem with it at all! Definitely a great way to smooth bc.

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:49pm
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajarvis

Yes- it was Wilton's that I tasted.

As the Mythbusters would say, "Well there's your problem!"

You need to either buy Satin Ice, or if you would like to try and make your own I HIGHLY recommend Michele Foster's recipe that's in the recipe section here.

About 99% of the people that have told me they hate fondant have only tried Wilton, and that's a real shame!

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm
post #18 of 26

How is olled buttercream different from typical buttercream? Does RBC have more of a fondant look? Do you use it as a sub for fondant?

chrissypie Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:59pm
post #19 of 26

Also, I would highly recommend Sharon Zambito's video Perfecting the Art of Buttercream. I was lucky enough to take 2 classes with her one in buttercream, one in fondant and the tips are invaluable. Her cakes are perfection. Her username is sugarshack. Her web addy is sugaredproductions.com. I have the Buttercream DVD and the Boxes and Bows. I want to get the Fondant and Stacking ones too because she is so good and so thorough in her teaching. These would really help. I mean, I went from someone who could barely slap on Betty Crocker frosting to doing a really smooth cake ( not perfect, as I don't practice often enough). But you won't believe the difference. It is so helpful to have something concrete to look at, sometimes I just don't get what to do if I am reading it.

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #20 of 26

I personally don't like fondant either. I have made MMF fondant. To me, it's a pain in the a@# to make and I guess by itself, it tastes OK. I just dont like it on cakes. I think it's a texture thing for me. I don't like nice soft cake topped wit something chewy. I love the way fondant covered cakes look. But, IMHO unless it's a wedding cake, I prefer buttercream covered cakes any day.

chrissypie Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:06pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah0418

I personally don't like fondant either. I have made MMF fondant. To me, it's a pain in the a@# to make and I guess by itself, it tastes OK. I just dont like it on cakes. I think it's a texture thing for me. I don't like nice soft cake topped wit something chewy. I love the way fondant covered cakes look. But, IMHO unless it's a wedding cake, I prefer buttercream covered cakes any day.

I totally agree about the texture thing! and the chewy thing! LOL! and to whomever asked. Rolled Buttercream is much softer and shinier than regular fondant. Have never used it however.

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:07pm
post #22 of 26

Who does? I like it for decorations and the such but don't like to eat cake with it.

cserwa Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:26pm
post #23 of 26

THank you! Okay - so it's softer than fondant, but how is it different from regular buttercream? Thanks!

chrissypie Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:41pm
post #24 of 26

cserwa

well, apparently, it is like fondant, you roll it and put on the cake, it supposedly tastes more like buttercream. It is just much more fragile and softer than fondant, but is rolled unlike buttercream.

cserwa Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:43pm
post #25 of 26

Thank you!!! That helps tremendously!

chrissypie Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:45pm
post #26 of 26

Sure, no problem!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%