Egg Free Cakes

Decorating By Windsor Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 2:02pm by khstephenson

Windsor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Windsor Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 13

What is the best recipe to use for an egg free cake. My goddaughter is allergic to eggs and I want to make her a cake for her birthday.

12 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 13

You can use Ener-G egg replacer instead of eggs, and use pretty much any butter cake recipe that you have. The cake will probably be a littel denser than it would if you used eggs, but the Ener-G works pretty well. I get it at Kroger or Whole Foods here, any health food grocery should have it.

Windsor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Windsor Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 13

thanks!

khstephenson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khstephenson Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 13

My son is also allergic to eggs and dairly. I wouldn't use the egg replacer, its expensive and gives the cake a funny taste. Here's a link to a egg free chocolate cake that is awesome. People who aren't allergic to eggs request it.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Egg-Free-Dairy-Free-Nut-Free-Cake/Detail.aspx

Hope that helps.
K

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 13

Just so you know, the Ener-G works best with scratch recipes. And yes, depending on your recipe, your cake may be slightly denser and you may have to cook it longer than normal.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 13

My business is entirely egg free. The Ener-G to me just does not work, the chocolate vegan recipies on the internet are very good and I can reccomend them, however if you need a vanilla recipie you can pm me. Good luck!

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 13

WOW! I have never heard of Ener-G giving the cakes a weird taste. I make most of my cakes egg free (daughter has an allergy)with Ener-G and have never had anything but compliments. And, on the contrary, it is WAY LESS expensive than buying eggs. My 16 oz. box costs me approximately $5.75, which is equal to about 100 eggs. If you can buy a dozen eggs for $0.69 cents, more power to ya.

I have found that it works better in some recipes and not in others. I personally don't like it when used with box mixes - almost too moist. I also found that white cake recipes are more tempermental than chocolate cake recipes when using an egg replacer.

One last thing, there are several egg replacer products out there. I personally like Ener-G the best in the way it performs in all my recipes, including pancakes, waffles and cookies. Good luck!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 13

Monkees -

I just got he book "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World." I've tried 2 so far (both this past week) - the simple vanilla and the agave vanilla recipes. I didn't care for the agave (about 1/2 of the "testers" I gave it to liked it and 1/2 didn't), but the vanilla one was pretty good. It was my first time making a vegan cake, so I don't' really have anything to compare it to....

It was a little bit heavy ("muffin-y"), but not as heavy as a true muffin. It was nice and moist and flavorful, and it rose well.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 13

About the Ener-G, I'll add that I do bake from scratch, so I don't know how it works with mixes. If she's allergic to eggs you probably shouldn't be using mixes anyway, since they could have some weird byproduct of eggs in them that they don't bother to mention. You can't always trust what's on the label with packaged foods...Stick with scratch and you should be okay. I've never noticed a strange flavor with the Ener-G, either, though.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:34am
post #10 of 13

It's funny that this topic came up I just talk to a friend of mine and told me the try the egg replacer. I wasn't sure about it but I think I will try it out since I do scratch baking. Thanks for the info.

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:55am
post #11 of 13

use any flavor cake mix ( as long as there is nota dairy allergy) and one can of any flavor soda !/2 the amount of oil called for, mix and bake as usual. Chocolate with dr pepper and strawberry with sprite are two of my favs.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:53am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

use any flavor cake mix ( as long as there is nota dairy allergy) and one can of any flavor soda !/2 the amount of oil called for, mix and bake as usual. Chocolate with dr pepper and strawberry with sprite are two of my favs.

THIS I have to try!!! icon_biggrin.gif

khstephenson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khstephenson Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:02pm
post #13 of 13

Just to clarify - egg replacer is expensive not compared to eggs but when you compare it to using a vegan recipe that does not use egg replacer. It might be me but if I don't have to go out and buy a special product but I get great results I'm happier. The taste thing is also personal - some will notice it some won't. To each his own.

K

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%