Strawberry Cake

Decorating By cuteums Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 4:14am by cuteums

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 10

So I offered to make a cake for a friends baby shower. I am doing it for free because as a gift and secretly because I have been dying to make a purse cake and this is the perfect excuse. (Diaper bag cake)

Anyway, I asked her what flavor and she threw me for a loop when she said strawberry. At first I thought she meant the filling, but she definitely meant the cake. I have never made a strawberry cake, nor do I even recall ever eating one. I looked up some doctored cake recipes on here. Do they taste good? Is it what strawberry cake is supposed to taste like? (that isn't as stupid a question as you may think.) Does the jello give it a fake taste? Just wondering. Thanks.

9 replies
Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 10

I just made a strawberry cake last night. This is what I did:
Used the WASC recipe. Except........
Used a BC strawberry cake mix instead of the white cake mix
Used pureed (frozen strawberries, juice and all, I did this in my blender) in place of the water in the recipe
Used 3 whole eggs in place of the 4 egg whites
Used Lorann strawberry flavoring in place of the almond flavoring
Everything else in the recipe, I did as called for the in the WASC recipe
It turned out great. Smelled wonderful in my house while it baked, too!
This was my first attempt at making a strawberry cake using a mix as the base. I was pleased.
HTH,
Carla thumbs_up.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 10

this recipe from paula deen is fanastic. I fill it with strawberry filling...

http://www.grouprecipes.com/41354/fresh-strawberry-cake.html

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 10

When I make strawberry cake I get frozen, unsweetened strawberries. I thaw and strain them, saving the juice, then puree the strawberries. I use Duncan Hines white cake mix and follow the directions, except I use the juice instead of the water and the puree instead of the oil. I will also add a teaspoon of strawberry extract and a teaspoon of vanilla. It's easy to make, tastes great, and smells even better!

Sometimes when I want a Strawberries and Cream cake, I will follow the recipe as above, but add in a small box of cheesecake pudding, one more egg white, and one extra tablespoon of puree.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 10

DH strawberry cake mix, strawberry yogurt and strawberry extract, using either of the following WASC cake recipes:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4
(Rebecca Sutterby)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-599677-.html
(kakeladi's original WASC - uses no fat/oil.)

HTH

HTH

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 10

I most definately agree with stephaniescakenj
I made Paula Deen's cake and got rave reviews, I covered it in crusting cream cheese with pureed strawberries mixed in (it was like ice cream!)... it's been my most popular flavor so far (see my pix).
I'll absolutely be keeing it for future and highly recommend it. It's soooo moist and flavorful (I wouldn't use it for carving).

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 10

I made a scratch strawberry cake that had jello in it and I did not care for it--it was too sweet (and not in a good way). Paula Deen's recipe sounds delicious and that will be the next strawberry cake I make.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 10

The Paula Deen recipe does sound delish. I might have to give it a shot too, even though most of my scratch cake attempts have been total disasters! icon_lol.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saap1204

I made a scratch strawberry cake that had jello in it and I did not care for it--it was too sweet (and not in a good way). Paula Deen's recipe sounds delicious and that will be the next strawberry cake I make.

So did I & didn't like it at all. I still haven't found a good recipe for strawberry cake. I can't wait to try Paula's recipe.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:14am
post #10 of 10

thanks everyone. I think I'll try Paula deen's recipe. She usually has good stuff. I have been leaning more towards scratch lately so I'll start there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%