I'm About To Get Serious.....

Decorating By kake4me2 Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 6:34am by cserwa

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:19am
post #1 of 20

My hubby is encouraging me to take my cake decorating dabbling to the next level....Serious Hobbiest!

I have a pretty good idea about what I needed so far (thanks to this site) but to really "kick it up a notch" as far as equipment tools products and such I wondered what items do you think are must haves, can't live without, cry when you run out kinda stuff .... maybe cetain brands of something certain tools, pans, etc...I am up for any and all tips and tricks you wanna give up!!!
They just need to be doable and storeable(is that a word) in a home , I have room to store things and an extra fridge/freezer.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!

19 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:30am
post #2 of 20

Americolor colors
Airbrush
Luck's Pearl AB colors

edited to add....

kitchen aid or big stand mixer!
sweetex shortening
ateco cutters
Sugarshack DVDS
Viva paper towels
good camera to record your accomplishments!

can't suggest more.. I don't know what you have or don't, and don't know your ability.. just thought I would tell you my favs. get some photos posted girl!

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:37am
post #3 of 20

i would say always have a 15 lb bucket of pettinice (ven if you make your own mmf)

i would say have 2 rolling mats ( the blue silicone ones)

a KA mixer

if you can afford it 2 pans in each size and shape (round 6, 8, 10, 12 and square 6, 8, 10 , 12) ... if you cant afford 2 just get one...

i cant think of anything else right off the top of my head

edited to add...

i also suggest an airbrush ( i got mine from ebay for ess than $100)
and go to your local cake place and buy all the airbrush colors that they have... i did it more than a year ago, and have yet to buy more airbrush colors...They last FOREVER

red0027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
red0027 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:44am
post #4 of 20

You can never have enough powdered sugar or flavorings...NEVER enough!!!

Ziplock bags
Aluminum Foil/Freezer Paper/Saran Wrap
Cake Rounds/Squares/Foam Boards
Oven Thermometer (Must Have)

Rocketgirl (great suggestion), a good camera will go a long way when advertising your accomplishments! On that note, you may also want to buy a black, blue, and/or white cloth as a backdrop for those fab pics you will be taking. Hope this helps!

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:09am
post #5 of 20

Does anyone have suggestions as to what kind of airbrush machine and what size would be the best for cake decorating. I have looked a several but not sure what to get. Help

pinklesley1 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:18am
post #6 of 20

i got mine from ebay it is called power cat...

if you type in cake airbrush you should be able to find it...

it is great for covering entire cakes, and also for detailish work...

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:21am
post #7 of 20

Without hesitation, I recommend Airmaster. It is the only airbrush made for cake decorators. It can be purchased from Kopykake on their website. I've had one for over 5 year and have never had a problem with it.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:41am
post #9 of 20

my AB i got from airbursh city, 2 different guns came with it.. one top loader, the other with a 2 oz bottom fed one. I have only used the top loader (gd10). I keep saying i am going to get AB foundation to spray my face, but haven't got around to it (no i won't mix foundation and food coloring...)

they don't have my specific one anymore but this is a similar one. Airbrush City Kit # 144AC-3 Airbrushing Starter Kit

I paid about $110 for 2 guns, and a nice compressor. Free shipping. They were having a HUGE sale, and I could be happier with my product.

http://www.airbrushcity.com/kits24/popular_featured1.htm

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:48am
post #10 of 20

but could anyone tell me of a place that will ship the ab & compressor set to po boxes. I live in a place where that is the only way to get my mail. TIA

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:08am
post #11 of 20

I like the airbrush from Harbor Freight....it's not made for cake decorating but it makes no difference. You need to buy a new (for food only) gun and then go to town. My husband got me one a couple years ago and I have only had the pleasure of using it these last couple months - it really adds an interesting depth to certain cakes.

As for supplies, when I decided to 'get serious' I ordered a variety of round and square cake pans from Ultimate Baker (a Hex set as well, although not a necessity). I already had the food items, fondant rollers, colors, bags, tips, cutters, and cake boards, etc.

As things progressed, I eventually invested in gumpaste cutters, mats, lustre powders, etc. To be realistic though, you can really get your feet wet using an exacto and cardboard stencils for gumpaste/fondant. It is not difficult at all.

The other thing that I think is ESSENTIAL!!!! are lots and lots of jelly rolls pans, parchment liners and an unlimited supply of Saran Wrap.

Once you start getting into it, VistaPrint is a seriously cheap but amazing resourse for printed advertising materials. HTH and best of luck to you!! icon_smile.gif

kake4me2 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 7:18am
post #12 of 20

These are great ideas, keep 'em coming....

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 8:01am
post #13 of 20

I want to get serious one day soon so have been keeping a "wish list" of cake decorating items and they include:

oven thermometer
2nd KA mixer
clay extruder or gun
edible image printer
heavy duty leveler such as Agbay (saw in another post)
silicone mats
turntable
huge variety of cutters & molds
more cake decorating books

the list goes on lol

kake4me2 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:48pm
post #14 of 20

What about pan sizes do you use 2" 3" or 4" pans?

kake4me2 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:04pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

get some photos posted girl!

Okay I have convinced myself to put a few pics up, everyone has to stat somewhere...right??

Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 7:32pm
post #16 of 20

Kake4me2!

You are off to a GREAT start! You have some beautiful work, and I see many beautiful cakes in the future! Don't know how long you have been caking, but this site will help you become an even better decorator. Like all of us on here.. okay exept for maybe Sharon Zambito.. or a few others (tho they continue to push the envelope and evolve) all have room to improve. It is the nature of art. Plus once you get good, you try to be faster...

I especially love the road of life cake!

I use 2 inch pans (deep) for almost ever cake.

I do have a a 3x3, 5x3, and 7x3 for mini cakes, but other then that it is 2in tall pans.

--------------

I agree with the other posters about molds, but becareful it adds up fast. I am looking to get a few molds (a pretty button mold, oval pearl mold) a clay gun, a fondant mat, petunia flower cutters and its almost $200. the cake im making i only charged 155... lol. But then I dont really NEED a fondant mat... and I could live without a claygun, but i find more and more it would be faster/easier to have one, and I could use RI to make my petunias... but don't want to. icon_biggrin.gif

I say consider these suggestions, and find out what you will get the most for you money. I think the top 3 things I would say are: AB, maybe a gp flower cutter starter kit (i bought wilton, it sucks... but it'll do... uhh it sucks makes me mad just thinking about it!) and a clay gun.

I think a quilting impression mat is a must as well, plus they are cheap (6-icon_cool.gif.

I also bought Ateco Cutters that come in a container:
Round
Heart
diamond

I want to get oval (for monograms, but i have the wilton 101 cutters and they have a few options, just i prefer metal now) and the square. oh there is so much I would by if I could.

OHHHHH and one more thing, STORAGE! Buy those organizing draws to keep colors, tips, everything organized. It will make things so much easier!

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:17am
post #17 of 20

kake - don't be so humble! They look great! Know that some of us out here wish we could get our cakes to look that great!

kake4me2 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 10:27pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks for the help and compliments....you girls are great!!!

Question about the airbrush, have heard different opinions on that.

When you airbrush does the color "dye" peopls mouths and lips when they eat the cake ....

Rocketgirl899 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 12:32am
post #19 of 20

I haven't seen it happen.. but i imagine with dark colors it could... but there is way less of a chance than with a whole bucket of red BC sittin on a cake.......

and ewwwww i don't want to eat black icing!

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 6:34am
post #20 of 20

I went to cakedeco.com to search for Magic Line pans, and what came back were 15 gauge pans. An 8 by 2 was under five dollrars, which is way cheaper than Magic Line, but both use 16 gauge...anyone have any insight? This is way cheaper and appears to be same quality, but I'm skeptical about how it's sooooooo much cheaper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%