That Takes The Cake - Sugar Art Cake Show

Decorating By FeGe_Cakes Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 3:56pm by FeGe_Cakes

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm
post #31 of 56

Those are cute. They would be cute name tags.

Also, were are they some good restuarants in Austin? No chain restuarants PLEASE. Here's what some co-workers gave me:

Threadgill's
Chuy's
Huts (couldn't find it online)
Fonda San Miguel

I will not be staying the night in Austin..trying to find a good lunch spot.

I love seafood and cajun and mexican food.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:16pm
post #32 of 56

Bumping. I hoping someone will read this before I head out for the day.

Thanks

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 11:35pm
post #33 of 56

I like Chuy's and there is one very close to the Crockett Center.

I have other faves, but of the list you supplied, Chuys is a good choice and it's conveniently located.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 4:46am
post #34 of 56

Thanks EnjoyTheCake. I was hoping for additional restuarants not listed. We have a Chuy's up here. And it is okay, but IMO not the bet mexican food. icon_wink.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 5:37am
post #35 of 56

I love Serrano's. I could eat their tortillas for every meal. And the chicken fajitas are soooo good. There aren't any super-close to the Crockett Center. The one in the Arboretum is probably closest, take Braker west to the Arboretum/183 area.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 4:53am
post #36 of 56

Thanks kelleym, I didn't see you post until Saturday night. We went to Pappadeux's instead. Was very nice inside, but service a little slow and parking was crowded. But we love seafood and cajun.

I had a great time. I would have loved to stay for the Gala. I am trying to upload the photos to shutterfly. When I do, I will post the link. I didn't get Juvenille or the Beginner cake photos but I got mostly all the others.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:00am
post #37 of 56

Sorry I wasn't more help FeGe.

What did you think of what you saw? I can't wait to see what photos you took. I'm taking my photos tomorrow and will put them up on Flickr. I'll also post the link when I have them up.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:30am
post #38 of 56

Oh no problem. I should have been more specific. My photos are uploading now to Shutterfly I have so many..it will be a while before it is done. The horse head and the mermaid were UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!! And one of the music themed cakes with the records, keys, people playing instruments, CD, cassette tapes, album covers. That was cool also.

I love the duck cake too..that was awesome..as well as the cake with the hand painted gold fish.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:38am
post #39 of 56

I haven't seen all the cakes yet, but the hand painted gold fish was VERY Nice. There was another painted one with very delicate painted flowers and super beautiful gum paste flowers just a few from the gold fish. I am impressed with that one also.

I can't wait to see who places and stuff tomorrow.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:47am
post #40 of 56

You are so lucky to live there. Yes, the other hand painted cake was very nice. There's some very cool cakes there. I will have to make this an annual trip. There were just a lot of cakes..more than I imagined.

Please post who won if you know tomorrow. I am hoping it is some I picked for the People Choice.

Also, the cake challenges were neat. I don't work well with a set of eyes, so I commend the bakers who were brave enough to do. I watched the tail end of the music cake challenge. It was a saxophone, guitar, music note, acordian, and tour bus. If you know who won, could you please share.

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 5:56am
post #41 of 56

I'm nosing in on your conversation about the cakes. I absolutely cracked up about the chickens "baking" in the sun. What did you think about that? I guess it's how my mind works-that is some serious comic relief! Love it!

There are some really great cakes and I think they all did better than I could do. I'm chicken to even enter a cake for competition. (No pun intended!)

Until tomorrow at the show!

Oh, Deb did you get the name tags here? I haven't seen them or maybe I just need to get my head out of the cakes and pay attention!

Thanks
Toni

FeGe_Cakes Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 6:12am
post #42 of 56

Yes. The chicken's in the sun and the rooster standing over them were pretty hilarious.

gritswife, Deb had some CC tags when you paid at admission.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:51am
post #44 of 56

I saw the bag of tags when I left today. There should still be some tomorrow. They are just business size ivory cards. I also left a bunch of colored ribbon to tie them around your neck if you wanted.

I entered a cake and a special technique. I did not get my wedding cake entry done. I'll probably post pictures of them into my uploaded photos tomorrow night or monday.

FeGe, thanks so much for the photo link.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 1 Mar 2009 , 7:42pm
post #45 of 56

I am going thru my list of Vendors. What was the name of the company that sold the topsy-turvy cake pans? With all different shapes.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 12:26am
post #46 of 56

I can't wait to hear....who were the winners.

EnjoyTheCake Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 6:45pm
post #47 of 56

Which winners are you specfically interested in?

I couldn't stay for the big winners I had to get to the class i signed up for.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 2 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #48 of 56

More curious about the Master's and Professional entries.

Which entry was yours?

EnjoyTheCake Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:37am
post #49 of 56

I entered in the Beginners. I posted my entries under my photos.

I had the buttercream patchwork peacock and the 2 little elves with the fantasy flowers down a bit on the same table.

I don't know who won the Master's or the Professional. I will do some research and see if I can help track that info down.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 4:05am
post #50 of 56

I have pictures of your entries. Great job! and congratulations.

hazelnut77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelnut77 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:50am
post #51 of 56

The horse sculpture won and the one with the caribbean drums, the hat and the hibiscus.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:48pm
post #52 of 56

Here are the winners I do not have their names and I should have written it down....sorry CC'ers.
LL

Chippi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:50pm
post #53 of 56

Another Winner
LL

Chippi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:54pm
post #54 of 56

Another picture of 1st........This cake as you see was superb!!! It won Best in Show!
LL

Chippi Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:55pm
post #55 of 56

The Drum cake won Best in Showcase!

FeGe_Cakes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 3:56pm
post #56 of 56

Cool. Thanks for the winners. I have so many pics it is ridiculous. I didn't realize until I got home the cake with the drums had a a sugar straw hat. Super cool!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%